What is a fair price for assembling an AR-15 complete lower receiver (labor only)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Even easier with a 1/4” x 2” clevis pin! The forward take-down pin detent can be a bear to install if you have fumbly fingers like I do, and was the reason why I had “oops” kits before I got the clevis pin.
yeah lots of places sell those little roll pin install tools that are basically just clevis pins. they definitely make things easier. although i've taken to just using a small hobby vise with rubber pads on the jaws to drive pins these days, once you get a few blocks to clamp on things just right it's the absolute way to go.

i've taken to using this hobby vice from the vaunted harbor freight for a surprising amount of things. one of them is working on ar/ak triggers and whatnot. no need to use my 6'' bench vise for something that only needs a few pounds of clamping force. unless you are torqueing barrel nuts or something, a hobby vice works great and i work inside in my ac instead of my hot garage lol.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html
if you shape a few pieces of scrap in certain ways, you can make clamp blocks to drive every roll pin in an ar upper or lower. even those dang gas tube/gas block pins which ALWAYS seem to be the trickiest and most willing to mushroom on ya.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
$25-$125 is one hell of a wide price range for the same exact service. Parts fitment is really that much of an issue? Because most LPKs claim that they‘re compatible with all mil-spec stripped lowers. Are there typically more fitment problems when using billet stripped lowers for a build?
Fitting is not an issue with parts kits, at least in my experience. Usually you see fit issues between lowers and uppers, and with modular triggers going into not-so-spec lowers. . Like I said, I'll do it for free...I'm in Elgin. I could come up there as well.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for a ballpark on the labor only to assemble an AR-15 complete lower. This would be just for labor only. The stripped lower, LPK, pistol grip, buffer tube assembly, and buttstock would all be provided for assembly.
YouTube and you’ll be pleased with your new found ability

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I've received any compensation for assembling a lower was from a friend who insisted he pay me for my time. It was a time when I was between jobs and was looking for work. He asked me what would I charge if I was doing it for a living. I told him $75. It took me an hour. I think it's a fair price.

And as everyone here has mentioned. It's a very straightforward process with a few varying techniques that people have learned or discovered along the way. It's fun too if you ask me. ....and yes, a six-pack of beer and a good visit sometimes is the right price.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hourly rate when I had my gun shop was $50/hr (1 hr minimum) and I could get a lower finished in a fraction of that time. That being said, I'll gladly help any OSA member assemble one if you bring it by my house. I still have my workbench and all my AR-15/10 tools, blocks, and vises.

Last edited:

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for a ballpark on the labor only to assemble an AR-15 complete lower. This would be just for labor only. The stripped lower, LPK, pistol grip, buffer tube assembly, and buttstock would all be provided for assembly.
If you were closer to Tulsa, my going price is a large cup of Joe from quick trip with coffee mate and a little sugar. Hope you can tolerate a good cigar smoke and conversation. And maybe some chocolate cake if I can get my wonderful 😇 to fix up.