What is a good 1911 really worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree on the Savage 99. Shot lots of Elk with one in .358 Win. But, Dan Wesson is far from a plastic Walmart gizmo. Most are more vintage (in the way they are manufactured) than the majority of 1911s on the market.
I looked at the Dan Wesson website. They sure aren't cheesy-looking. I'm just attracted to the old COLT pony and the GOVERNMENT MODEL stamping across the slide. Guns with me are a lot about emotions, though. There is sentimental value. My grandfather's Savage 1899 was in .300 Savage.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The army MP's confiscated it from me for not having it registered on post in 1994. When I left the army in 1995, they said they couldn't find it and said it probably got destroyed.
That's illegal and I bet one of them stole it. I went through that on Sill in early 96 and went ahead and registered it and demanded it back. Apparently they thought I was a punk and wouldn't come back to get it out of fear or something. when I did, they said it was lost and probably destroyed or redispositioned or something to that effect, so I filed a complaint at the Garrison Commanders office and said I was going to CID (named names). The Provost Marshal contacted me a couple days later to pick up my pistol.

All that said though, I bought one of the new Series 70 competitions a couple years ago and couldn't be happier (paid about $700 ish) It's a great gun. I added an extended slide lock, mag well, and some cool grip screws. I may change springs but I really don't have to and it shoots deadnuts. NFS

I saw some other comments here so I'd like to add that there is zero fit or finish issues whatsoever. It's as well made or better than any other factory gun out there.

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger makes an excellent 1911 for the money. Novak style sights, beavertail grip safety, lowered and flared ejection port and probably some others I can't think of.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are wanting a Series 70 Colt, they are currently in production again. It's no Dan Wesson, but you are also looking at it being half the cost of most Dan Wesson models. Aside from typical modern Colt thumb safeties that are poorly fitted, it's a solid pistol at a competitive price point.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/1911-classic
Colt also has a Series 70 competition model with modern sights, undercut trigger guard etc.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/competition-ser70-45acp-bl-81
I've heard bad things about the new Colt company. If you buy a new Colt gun, it needs work under warranty and you need to call customer service, it's nearly impossible to get through over the telephone. New Colt revolvers have also gotten bad reviews. I have not seen any new production Colt 1911-type pistol in person so I can't speak for their fit and finish. I can only speak for the great fit/finish on a few older (pre-1980) Colt handguns (two Govt. Model 45's and one Lawman Mark III revolver, 357) I've owned. I really have to hold a gun in my hands and look at it under bright light to judge it well. Many new firearms I've seen over the past year or so leave something for me to be desired in cosmetics. My original question asks what a 1911 is really worth? To me, I have to start out with the LOOKS and judge it from there on. I can never love any gun with sloppy cosmetics from the gun factory no matter how well she shoots and no matter the price. I just know I loved the cosmetics of those pre-1980's Colts I've owned by experience and sadly miss them.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard bad things about the new Colt company. If you buy a new Colt gun, it needs work under warranty and you need to call customer service, it's nearly impossible to get through over the telephone. New Colt revolvers have also gotten bad reviews. I have not seen any new production Colt 1911-type pistol in person so I can't speak for their fit and finish. I can only speak for the great fit/finish on a few older (pre-1980) Colt handguns (two Govt. Model 45's and one Lawman Mark III revolver, 357) I've owned. I really have to hold a gun in my hands and look at it under bright light to judge it well. Many new firearms I've seen over the past year or so leave something for me to be desired in cosmetics. My original question asks what a 1911 is really worth? To me, I have to start out with the LOOKS and judge it from there on. I can never love any gun with sloppy cosmetics from the gun factory no matter how well she shoots and no matter the price. I just know I loved the cosmetics of those pre-1980's Colts I've owned by experience and sadly miss them.

Ruger makes an excellent 1911 for the money. Novak style sights, beavertail grip safety, lowered and flared ejection port and probably some others I can't think of.
At the Ruger site, a new SR1911 lists for $1129.00. It's full size, Govt. Model size. They have "Commander" versions too. I can't speak for their cosmetics until I hold one in my hands under bright lights. No Ruger full-size 1911 is available in traditional blue. There is a brushed stainless looking one and some kind of paramilitary black.

Latest posts

Top Bottom