What is a good 1911 really worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://grabagun.com/colt-1911c-govt-45acp-5-blue.html?gundeals
This is the only Colt I have seen around in a while other than a 70 series built in 1981 I saw at Scheels in DFW last Thursday. The pistol was less than $1500.00 and looked to be in excellent condition, though I did not handle it. It had GI sights and an arched mainspring housing, typical for that model. The blued finish was deep and roll marks on the right side were excellent.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I consider myself fairly up to date on 1911 builders, and until I did a little research, I thought double star only made AR’s. If I were looking to buy a 1911 in the $1400-$2200 price point, it dang sure wouldn’t be a Double Star. As has been mentioned, you can get a really nice Dan Wesson in that price range, but if you shop around, you should be able to find a good clean low mileage semi custom like a Les Baer or Wilson Combat in that price range.
Dan Wesson builds a really nice 1911, but contrary to internet lore, they ARE NOT in the same league as semi customs like Baer, Brown, and Wilson.:rolleyes2

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are right about that.A few months ago a man at the range let me shoot his Les Baer and Wilson.It was like the first time i drove a high end mercedes and a Lexus.It seemed like all the other vehicles i had driven in my life were crap compared to them.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are right about that.A few months ago a man at the range let me shoot his Les Baer and Wilson.It was like the first time i drove a high end mercedes and a Lexus.It seemed like all the other vehicles i had driven in my life were crap compared to them.
That is my feeling/observation the first time I fired my Kimber Gold Match .45 that cost me $1100. About 15 years ago. Most smooth, flawless functioning I’d ever experienced compared to the entry level Springfield Armory and Colt Government models I’d been wasting my time and money on for years trying to compete with. The smoothed up models just cost you. Figure $1500+ these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom