What is a Sported Springfield 1903 worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braxton blevins

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With it being a nice shooter like you say and others saying it’s not worth bringing back to original condition which I didn’t plan to do. Would you happen to have any idea on how I could mount a scope to it? The mount it came with I believe is wrong, as when I put the screw in the rear the bolt no longer opens. Or would I be better off to sell/trade this for say a rem 700 In 30-06?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I’d dump that rifle in a heartbeat if it were me being that it’s having issues. Sounds like it would cost you way more then the gun is worth to get it running properly.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just need to shorten the screw that goes into the receiver. Are all the screws the same length?

It’s a nice looking rifle, btw.

The grooves that were mentioned are the number of grooves in the rifling inside the barrel.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you have to remember that the reason these conversions exist is because it was cheap. much cheaper than a commercially made hunting rifle. so cheap that you could afford to buy a stock and modify by taking off sights and buying new to replace the military ones. the rifle was surplussed at one time and could have been new or a complete sewer pipe???? or somewhere in between most likely. the barrel crown may be worn from cleaning rod abrasion. get some 150 grain ammo and shoot it at 100 yards and return here with a pic of the group. probably would be my guess about 10 inches at 100? but who knows? by taking out screws etc you my be lowering the value even more. in my opinion you might be better off to just go get a savage rifle in the calibre of your choice that has been professionally set up at the factory. you will then have a new accurate barrel and exceptional trigger without breaking the bank. and can get away from 30 06 into 243 or 308/6.5/223 or whatever. cheap advice

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My own personal evaluation is 400$. At least that's what I would give. Never had a springfield that wouldn't shoot 2 groove or four. Your scope mount should have a groove on the rear that slide on and held in place by screw.i used the original peep screw but you can easily cut down another. Should make a excellent deer rifle as is

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just need to shorten the screw that goes into the receiver. Are all the screws the same length?

It’s a nice looking rifle, btw.

The grooves that were mentioned are the number of grooves in the rifling inside the barrel.
Learned this the hard way in my first foray into Mausers. Guys will put any dam screw they can in one before the sell it rather than no have one. If the screw going into the action is too long your bolt will have issues. . Wish I would have asked in here rather than spending an hour lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom