What is attacking my deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I catch a pack of wild feral dogs on cam every few months. Never seen them in person. I’m thinking they might be chasing the deer and running them through fences and such. Just wish I knew for sure.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted the pic of a doe with a large laceration on her hip a few weeks back. Today, my cell camera caught a pic of this doe with lacerations on her neck and shoulder. I know there are other things that can cause this but I find it odd that I have two resident doe that have come up with pretty significant lacerations. Big cat maybe? I have 6 traditional trail cams still running, so I’ll pull those cards on Sunday.

My property is in the middle of 4 dead sections with another dead section beyond that to the east. I only have one fence that borders me. The next closest fence is 3/4 of a mile away.
View attachment 261634View attachment 261635
We have cougars in Oklahoma, or at least NE Ok. I have seen several over the years around here! One was caught by the wildlife people in a tree, in a back yard in Tulsa. a few years ago. They said they thought it was a wild cougar because it was wormy, malnourished, and had a lot of ticks on it! Those lacerations look too big, and deep, to be a fence, of branch, and would take a serious preditor to inflict!? My wife went to school with a guy that is a wildlife biologest for the state of Arkansas. I ask him at her class reunion why the state of Arkansas clam there are no cougars in the state, when I had seen them there as well. He said do you have any idea how much paperwork that wiould create?

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have cougars in Oklahoma, or at least NE Ok. I have seen several over the years around here! One was caught by the wildlife people in a tree, in a back yard in Tulsa. a few years ago. They said they thought it was a wild cougar because it was wormy, malnourished, and had a lot of ticks on it! Those lacerations look too big, and deep, to be a fence, of branch, and would take a serious preditor to inflict!? My wife went to school with a guy that is a wildlife biologest for the state of Arkansas. I ask him at her class reunion why the state of Arkansas clam there are no cougars in the state, when I had seen them there as well. He said do you have any idea how much paperwork that wiould create?
We have plenty of cougars right here in central OK ( confirmed in OK ,Logan & Lincoln Counties) Those wounds appear to be traumatic ( sharp objects) & NOT from cougar ,nor bobcat.
I have hands-on treated/seen cougar domestic animal wounds. Definitely not canine/coyote wounds either.
Kinda frustrating to see them getting wounded for no good reason. I wish you luck and solve this problem quickly.
( Deer do range a great deal, miles. )

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have plenty of cougars right here in central OK ( confirmed in OK ,Logan & Lincoln Counties) Those wounds appear to be traumatic ( sharp objects) & NOT from cougar ,nor bobcat.
I have hands-on treated/seen cougar domestic animal wounds. Definitely not canine/coyote wounds either.
Kinda frustrating to see them getting wounded for no good reason. I wish you luck and solve this problem quickly.
( Deer do range a great deal, miles. )
Could they be feral hog wounds? I have seen large hogs tear up dogs with their tusk.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could they be feral hog wounds? I have seen large hogs tear up dogs with their tusk.
Good question, but I would expect : 1st , the deer to outrun , outmaneuver the hogs & 2ndly the wounds would be lower on the deer body and deeper , into the muscle layer. My Suspicions. ??

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question, but I would expect : 1st , the deer to outrun , outmaneuver the hogs & 2ndly the wounds would be lower on the deer body and deeper , into the muscle layer. My Suspicions. ??
I was thinking the hog came upon the deer while bedded down. I agree if the deer was standing there is no way it was a hog. At least not one I ever want to run into.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have another deer that has come down with some serious injuries. This one looks like she is either diseased, or got run over by a car. My place is 1 1/2 miles off of the turner turnpike. The only other road is a county road about 3/4 mile away, but that has a couple S curves right together so speeds are no more than 20-35 mph max. Other than the areas missing hide, she doesn’t act like she is hurt. No broken legs or anything like that. It does look like there is a laceration on her side and that one shoulder looks like there is a puncture wound of some sort.

Maybe I do have Bigfoot running around out there. 😳

556E2EE2-46A5-4C81-875E-7C50C9979391.jpeg
9CC3E52E-1829-4F0B-8BC0-C40A090E93F4.jpeg
6860923B-0D00-41A6-B7C2-B6DD390A3F09.jpeg
97FF8889-C17F-493A-B25D-20F3BD5F7E26.jpeg
90A23B31-B5D6-4B27-91DF-59FECF656BA3.jpeg
D20390E5-9CBF-40CD-924A-E41ED30068AA.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom