What is attacking my deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a juvenile bear that passed through about 1 1/2 years ago, but nothing since.

There is a pack of feral dogs that pass through every few months.
Any updates on the injured deer, or possible causes ? Dept of Wildlife ever get involved ? Further pics ?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t called the game warden. I’ve had 3 different doe come down with injuries, though none as severe as the one with bald spots. Several lacerations and a couple punctures. I had one buck that showed up with a couple punctures on one side.

I filled a protein feeder this weekend and it does not have a varmint guard on it. I’ll be checking that camera in about a month and see if the deer have any injuries there.

Choprzrul

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think it's obvious....

1650776159528.png

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a wild dog pack try to take down a cow before, but I would expect more bites on the legs instead of long tears.

Feral dog packs will definitely go after deer. A friend that lives on the outskirts of Tulsa sees a lot of dumped dogs around his place. They usually get one opportunity from him to see if they’re friendly, the friendly ones he finds a home for.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those varmint cages on the feeders have cut my corn bill in half. The deer would stand there all night licking the corn off the spinners.
I have a feeder hanging from cable attached to a12 foot tripod, so it swings. Have a varmint cage on it. Had a buck one year that would stick his antlers in the bottom of the cage and shake it and then eat the corn till it was gone then shake it again.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those varmint cages on the feeders have cut my corn bill in half. The deer would stand there all night licking the corn off the spinners.
I have a feeder hanging from cable attached to a12 foot tripod, so it swings. Have a varmint cage on it. Had a buck one year that would stick his antlers in the bottom of the cage and shake it and then eat the corn till it was gone then shake it again.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted the pic of a doe with a large laceration on her hip a few weeks back. Today, my cell camera caught a pic of this doe with lacerations on her neck and shoulder. I know there are other things that can cause this but I find it odd that I have two resident doe that have come up with pretty significant lacerations. Big cat maybe? I have 6 traditional trail cams still running, so I’ll pull those cards on Sunday.

My property is in the middle of 4 dead sections with another dead section beyond that to the east. I only have one fence that borders me. The next closest fence is 3/4 of a mile away.
View attachment 261634View attachment 261635
What’s growing on my deer?

Latest posts

Top Bottom