What is it with the gov't and their incompetent IT???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...KED-1-5-million-entries-unsecured-server.html
Snowden - A short-term contractor who was able to view and steal classified docs while working for a private sector company serving the NSA. If the gov't or anyone else at Booz Allen Hamilton was competent, these files would have been encrypted so he could work with them as a SharePoint/file admin without seeing them.

Manning - same as above except he wasn't a contractor

FAA system outage - some guy working as a contractor deleted some files during an upgrade process

No Fly - probably some guy put a file on an FTP server instead of SFTP

Other Examples - are many I'm sure

This is all IT 101 and all you need to solve this when working at such an important level is a PEER REVIEW PROCESS...makes me sick to see all the millions we spend to hire out crap like this...the blind leading the blind. We are governed by many incompetent people that hire out other incompetent people...but why is it that if I hire some small business these kinds of mess ups don't happen a much?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not incompetence, it's something else.

No competition for gubmint. Gotta go to them, there is no one else for certain licenses/info/requirements.

Can't get fired. Even gross malfeasance is tolerated, if not rewarded. Look at Fauci, among others.

These gubmint workers are in it for 20, then the checks keep rolling. They truly don't care about outcomes. They just care about seniority, and retirement.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are governed by many incompetent people that hire out other incompetent people...but why is it that if I hire some small business these kinds of mess ups don't happen as much?

Maybe because you know just WTF you are doing?

Another thing I saw for years and years. I would explain something in an email to someone even copying others to keep from he said she said. Invariably someone in the link would NOT READ the email and then ask the very question I had so eloquently explained.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not incompetence, it's something else.

No competition for gubmint. Gotta go to them, there is no one else for certain licenses/info/requirements.

Can't get fired. Even gross malfeasance is tolerated, if not rewarded. Look at Fauci, among others.

These gubmint workers are in it for 20, then the checks keep rolling. They truly don't care about outcomes. They just care about seniority, and retirement.
Yeah but all we hear is how good the "private sector" is...it has been my experience that the entire thing and all the contracts is a grift. A revolving door of gov to corporate rotations and consultants. So as Snake said, incompetent or corrupt people hire others to do their bidding. One way the repubs like to hide increasing the size of govt is to use contractors instead of FTE's. This way, they can spend more on "for profit" services that either cost more or lower quality (or both), and they can lie to the tax payers and claim that they are for smaller gov't.

Sometimes, if you got some long-term, COMPETENT gov't employees who made a decent wage, you would get a better product in some cases than hiring out the "expertise" to fly-by-night contractors. But instead you get bureaucrats that oversee the contracts and dole them out to the private sector with no real idea to know what they are getting. In some cases, they even hire another company to oversee the contractor they hired so they don't have to LOL.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Incompetence can easily go beyond the government.

Back in September, the wife and I both contracted COVID for the second time. I got it in Texas and she tested positive AFTER we got back to the OKC area. So, she went to the new OU medical facility on Czech Hall Road in Yukon to get a treatment. First of all, after they gave her a prescription for some pills, they failed to provide a milligram dosage on the prescription and then failed to put a phone number there so the pharmacy could call to get the dosage.

After treatment and getting the prescription, the wife paid them what they billed her. ($22.38 with Medicare and a supplement.) Around January 6 or so, the wife gets a check from the OU medical system for $22.38. Within about a week, she then gets a new bill for $22.38. (She hasn't even cashed the check that they sent her.)

So we went by the OU facility in Yukon to straighten out the mess, and she is given a card with a phone number for the OU Urgent Care billing department on it. She calls that number, but is then told that they can't help her and give her yet another phone number.

Hopefully, it has all been straightened out, but we aren't really too encouraged that it is done.

Needless to say, we WON'T be using that medical facility again.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Incompetence can easily go beyond the government.

Back in September, the wife and I both contracted COVID for the second time. I got it in Texas and she tested positive AFTER we got back to the OKC area. So, she went to the new OU medical facility on Czech Hall Road in Yukon to get a treatment. First of all, after they gave her a prescription for some pills, they failed to provide a milligram dosage on the prescription and then failed to put a phone number there so the pharmacy could call to get the dosage.

After treatment and getting the prescription, the wife paid them what they billed her. ($22.38 with Medicare and a supplement.) Around January 6 or so, the wife gets a check from the OU medical system for $22.38. Within about a week, she then gets a new bill for $22.38. (She hasn't even cashed the check that they sent her.)

So we went by the OU facility in Yukon to straighten out the mess, and she is given a card with a phone number for the OU Urgent Care billing department on it. She calls that number, but is then told that they can't help her and give her yet another phone number.

Hopefully, it has all been straightened out, but we aren't really too encouraged that it is done.

Needless to say, we WON'T be using that medical facility again.
It's a cultural problem...years of decadence and corruption and cultural marxism and abandoment of personal responsibility and accountability, morals, etc has led to what you are describing being more commonplace...They can hardly make a hamburger right these days.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just like to clarify the threat here:

A Swiss hacker known as "maia arson crimew" detailed how boredom led to hunting on the internet for exposed open-source automation Jenkins servers. The hacker's Twitter bio describes an "indicted hacktivist researcher, artist, mentally ill enby polyamorous trans lesbian anarchist kitten (0􀀋), 23 years old."

No one prepares for a threat like that, but maybe we should? :anyone:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a cultural problem...years of decadence and corruption and cultural marxism and abandoment of personal responsibility and accountability, morals, etc has led to what you are describing being more commonplace...They can hardly make a hamburger right these days.

What amazed me was the degree of "idiocy" associated with a entity of higher learning. Something must have not "trickled down" very well.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What amazed me was the degree of "idiocy" associated with a entity of higher learning. Something must have not "trickled down" very well.
It is intentional...they hate the working class. If you noticed, it is the privileged kids rioting in Atlanta.

Latest posts

Top Bottom