What is the best defensive weapon? A 10 year real life study

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think people get hung up arguing between “better” and “better than nothing.”

If one has a reason not to use, or inability to use, “better”; then certainly “better than nothing” is exactly that.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is some bad data in the video. He compares .410 Shot shells fired from a pistol to a 12GA shotgun, stating that the 5 pellets coming out of the .410 shell are half as effective as the 12GA. Well...the .410 shells are also being fired from a significantly shorter barrel thus making the velocity of the pellets significantly less, so therefore less energy. It takes a similar approach to .22LR in that it assumes that the rounds were fired from a rifle, at least that was the graphic used. Some of those rounds in defensive situations were likely fired from pistols. I didn't see a distinction made between .22LR fired from a rifle v pistol.

All in all a pretty good study but I'd question whether or not important aspects of the data were accounted for like I highlighted above.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is some bad data in the video. He compares .410 Shot shells fired from a pistol to a 12GA shotgun, stating that the 5 pellets coming out of the .410 shell are half as effective as the 12GA. Well...the .410 shells are also being fired from a significantly shorter barrel thus making the velocity of the pellets significantly less, so therefore less energy. It takes a similar approach to .22LR in that it assumes that the rounds were fired from a rifle, at least that was the graphic used. Some of those rounds in defensive situations were likely fired from pistols. I didn't see a distinction made between .22LR fired from a rifle v pistol.

All in all a pretty good study but I'd question whether or not important aspects of the data were accounted for like I highlighted above.

Same could be said for shotgun data, specifically the difference between short barreled shotties (legal or not) vs full length versions.

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen some 410 shells named “self defense “ that are loaded just for short barrels.
My use for the Governor will be around the farm so I have a choice between bird shot, buck shot, 45lc or 45acp just by rotating the cylinder, depending on what needs shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The current crop of SD 410 shotshells are designed for short barrels. There is a significant improvement in performance vs back in the day when common .410 shells designed for long barrel shotguns were first used in the Judge, Governor, etc.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I too think a governor could be pretty effective at extremely short ranges. This being said I’m a fanboy of having ALOT of energy and a lot of rounds. For me, it’s an AR variant with a bunch of mags and an “Alamo” position with body armor and more weapons and ammo for me and my family plus medical gear. Maybe a little overboard but I have a few enemies....

I don’t feel like there are many wrong answers, but I do feel like whatever you’re going to use you should be proficient with it and have plenty of trigger time with it. Most importantly, you should have a plan and your family should know it.

Last edited:

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm selling all my crap tomorrow!!! I feel that their numbers weren't good enough in the video. :)

I always thought that a shotgun would be most useful inside the home, outside a rifle for sure....but who straps their Remington 700 on when cleaning out the flowerbed? (on this forum...a couple of you probably)

Latest posts

Top Bottom