What is the right balance between Rehabilitation/Reformation vs Stopping Violent Predatory Criminals from Reoffending?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would this actually look like in practice? How would it address crimes like DUI, usury, or even neighborly disputes over things that might harm property value? Would we still have speed limits? You say whether someone believes in God or not, but does "having no other god before me" allow for other religions in this society including atheism?
Don't forget disrespectful kids that should be killed, or adulterous wives that need stoning. We really need to get back to some Old Testament morality.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget disrespectful kids that should be killed, or adulterous wives that need stoning. We really need to get back to some Old Testament morality.
I can't tell whether this is funnier if it is or isn't sarcastic. There was a notable historical theologian who was adamantly against Old Testament law named "Jesus", you may have heard of him.

If you don't trust the state to not pass tyrannical gun laws I will never understand how you can trust them with a power like capital punishment.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am very pro abortion and very pro death penalty. I think both should be used more often than they are
What happens when the people in charge decide that abortion (or anything else; this is just the topic you supplied) is bad and warrants the death penalty?

The problem imo with having a capital punishment for violating the law is the law changes. I don't trust elected officials to establish sensible or moral laws, I don't trust the justice system to sensibly or morally enforce the laws, so i'm personally uncomfortable with the state deciding they get to kill someone.

There are definitely things one can do that warrant death, I just don't think the state gets to decide what those are.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if people would just simply follow the ten commandments and teach them to their children most of this but not all of this discussion would be mute,and the reactions to the offenders would be handed out mostly but not completely with justice. weather you believe in God or not.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom