What is the "Santa Fe, NM" equivalent in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And has for a very long time. Wife and I honeymooned there 33 years ago. It was the same then.
I just went with the family for the first time a couple of months ago and LOVED it. It felt a lot like Durango, CO to me. Definitely left of my personal beliefs, but full of laid back people that are grateful and welcoming to anyone that travels through. I would absolutely go again and stay in an AirBnB or VRBO where we could walk all over for food and shops.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many famous celebrities have getaway homes there
Santa Fe NM has been known for a very long time as a sort of artist/spiritual/hippie type of city in a state that is otherwise largely ignored by most people. Many famous celebrities have getaway homes there and will often escape to Santa Fe when they need a break from Hollywood.

Does OK have an equivalent place yet? I'm not talking about Hollywood celebs wanting to move here, but the whole spiritual/getaway vibe.

A few years ago it seemed like Medicine Park was building such a reputation but I haven't heard much lately. I do know properties there are quite expensive nowadays and the old stone buildings have all become historical landmark type places.

Also in SE OK near Talihina there seems to be a lot of high end "getaway" type properties popping up charging quite a lot of money per night. This is strange to me because I've always heard that SE OK has a bit of Deliverance type reputation and you should not go there unless you know how to deal with the locals.
Many famous celebrities have getaway homes there and will often escape to Santa Fe when they need a break from Hollywood.
They have several movie sets in that area and actors spend a lot of time there making movies, A friend of mine has a ranch there and deals in old west memorabilia, he has dealt with several actors, he sold a gun for me to Steven Segall who came by often before his legal troubles.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This must be a rhetorical question? Last time I was in Santa Fe was November 21. It was a red bastion of political correctnes, compulsive face diaper wearers and overpriced everything for what you got. People were very arrogant and had the attitude you will pay more, get less, and like it. Hotel was $300 per day, the hot water went out for a day and they just acted like it was just part of the wonderfulness of Santa Fe. No thanks.
I was there last November as well and saw the same thing. Other than that church with the cool staircase, it was a place I wouldn’t go again except for work.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sa

I saw a report on one of the Tulsa news stations that it is also becoming a haven in the Bible belt for the LGBTQ
community.
Has been for a long time. Buddy of mine got married, honeymooned there over a decade ago - they had no idea it was "Gay Pride Weekend" or some such...

Harrison Arkansas gives off a better vibe, and it's on the way to some good fishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom