What is this!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my youngest son were out hunting yesterday evening. We werent really paying much attention to this buck, because there was a bigger one near by. I panned over to get some extra video of this buck and noticed something hanging underneath it!
what tha1.jpg

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first I thought it was a hydrocyst...but they're usually in the front area of the deer.

Common problems:

In the case of the pot-bellied deer, there are several possibilities of what might be going on:
  1. Hernia. A hernia occurs when internal organs or tissues pop through an opening in the muscular wall that surrounds the abdomen but are still covered in skin. This can happen in young animals if there are “holes” in the abdomen at the time of birth. Similarly, in adult animals hernias occur when there is a tear in the muscular wall. The tear most often is a result of trauma (fighting or being hit by a car) or straining and pressure associated with parturition (giving birth).
  2. Mastitis. Mastitis is a inflammation of the mammary tissues or udders. This is most often associated with microscopic bacteria in the environment or on the skin of the deer that invade mammary tissue.
  3. Abscess. Abscesses are collections of pus that get walled off as an inflammatory reaction in the deer’s body. Abscesses are associated with bacteria that invade the body of the deer and they can form in just about any tissue or organ. We can see them on the surface of the deer when bacteria get past the natural protective barriers of the skin; most often through cuts or other breaks in the skin. When cut into, abscesses can range from the consistency of pudding to cottage cheese, are tan, yellow, or green, and often have a foul odor.
  4. Hematoma. A hematoma is simply a fancy term for a collection of clotted blood. We can see them with any sort of trauma or disease that could result in bleeding.
  5. Tumor. There are a variety of tumors that can lead to masses on the surface deer. The most common tumor that occurs on the body of deer is a fibroma, which is associated with a viral infection. However, these typically result in variably-sized, firm, black, masses on the skin, which is quite different from what we see in this deer. A variety of other tumors can occur on the body of deer but are rare, including bone tumors, antler tumors, and other skin tumors.

Or...

Maybe this is a 3 way deer!!!!???? As Rick James says in the song Superfreak....."Three's not a crowd to her"
post-257913-0-08173900-1443866234.jpg

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What may be a curse for some, may cause jealously for others lol. Seen several deer with that on FB this year it seems like. Some have been three times that big.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother is a biologist, I texted him this thread and asked him what he thought it was. He sent me two pics of a deer he harvested recently that had the same thing on it. He said:

It's a hernia. My harvest had the same condition, he got it from fighting and was becoming emaciated.

Hope his explanation answers your question.
39b07bf162cf20f94e6cdd710ca487d6.jpg
d7f4b4c343e34b32438906613788bd0e.jpg

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

Latest posts

Top Bottom