What is wrong with this whitetail buck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like its lost mass around the neck and has these strange lesions or bumps? I'm not familiar with CWD or worms so i'd figured id ask to get the general consensus on here.

MFDC1428.JPG

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
lol...black mountain lion... geez

But in all seriousness, I have laid eyes on a big tom out there years ago and seen tracks a year or two after that. And not long ago there was a sighting at the elementary school down the road.

I'm thinking its some kind of disease but i guess it could be an infection from getting roughed up by another deer..

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all seriousness I’d contact your local game warden and show him the picture. They may want to track that animal and remove it from the population, if CWD spreads here we are all in trouble. I was unaware that lesions were a symptom of CWD

Nothing scares the **** of me more than Prions.... not even Ebola or AIDS
We will all die of prions at some point in the future.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OMG! What kinda monster is this?!

pri·on1
/ˈprīˌän/
noun
plural noun: prions
  1. a small petrel of southern seas, having a wide bill fringed with comblike plates for feeding on planktonic crustaceans.
That some little aquatic bug like thingy. I've heard CWD referred to as this.

IIRC, you can't kill it because it's not alive. Antiseptics don't work, bleach don't work, antibiotics don't work and burning/heat don't work. I liken it to a toxin or maybe a whacked out protein gone wrong. As I recall they recommend just burying the carcass and leaving it alone.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info here on Prions. Scary stuff.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/index.html

Prion diseases or transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) are a family of rare progressive neurodegenerative disorders that affect both humans and animals. They are distinguished by long incubation periods, characteristic spongiform changes associated with neuronal loss, and a failure to induce inflammatory response.

The causative agents of TSEs are believed to be prions. The term “prions” refers to abnormal, pathogenic agents that are transmissible and are able to induce abnormal folding of specific normal cellular proteins called prion proteins that are found most abundantly in the brain. The functions of these normal prion proteins are still not completely understood. The abnormal folding of the prion proteins leads to brain damage and the characteristic signs and symptoms of the disease. Prion diseases are usually rapidly progressive and always fatal.

Identified Prion Diseases
Listed below are the prion diseases identified to date. CDC does not currently offer information on every prion disease listed below.

Human Prion Diseases
Animal Prion Diseases

Latest posts

Top Bottom