What is your favorite .22 target pistol ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is your favorite target pistol

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you getting enough lube on the spring guide rod. I find I need to put a drop or two on it to have it cycle completely and that is where the majority of the friction is during function. The outside of the bolt has next to nothing that it touches so I just lightly coat that. Last match I started to have some cycling problems. Opened it up dropped a drop on the rod and function was 100% again.
Previously I hadn't really been lubing up the magazines at alkyl, but the last couple if matches I made sure to do that but still had a couple rounds ruined by the FTF issue.

Of course, last weekend when I was at the range and not competing I didn't have single problem at all. I think it just doesn't want me to win. :-)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Previously I hadn't really been lubing up the magazines at alkyl, but the last couple if matches I made sure to do that but still had a couple rounds ruined by the FTF issue.

Of course, last weekend when I was at the range and not competing I didn't have single problem at all. I think it just doesn't want me to win. :-)
I run my Ruger mags through an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the gunk and wax.
(You can do the same with brake or carb cleaner.
Lube them with silicone spray, let the carrier dry overnight and shoot them.
You may be surprised.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't lube my mags just make sure to clean them well. The guide rod I am referring to is on the bolt itself. The piece on the left side below cycles along the rod and gets some friction plus any build up on the rod can cause it to bind a bit.
913977.jpg

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't lube my mags just make sure to clean them well. The guide rod I am referring to is on the bolt itself. The piece on the left side below cycles along the rod and gets some friction plus any build up on the rod can cause it to bind a bit.

See, that's what happens when I respond to posts when my wife is talking to me. I don't pay enough attention. :-) I was equating "guide rod" to the spring guide in the magazine for some weird reason. As for lubing up the guide rod ("Are we doing phrasing here?" - Archer), I have always made sure to give that a little bit of love before reassembly.

Someone mentioned using an ultrasonic cleaner for the mags, and I've seriously considered getting one of those myself. If I had a quick detach mount for the POS red dot that I have on the 22/45 (which, even though it's a POS, I finally have sighted in for my use), I'd already have one. That way I could just drop the whole 22/45 in there instead of breaking it down to clean it. :-)

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-06-04-22-42-32-1.png

I guess I should explain what I voted for, since I failed to do so in my original post. DOH!!! At one time or another I have owned most on the list and shot the others. I have owned several Ruger Mk. IIs and IIIs in target and 22/45 configurations but they always left me wanting more. The Buckmark was nice but still not up to my expectations. Liked the Smith 41 but didn't get to really put it through the paces, the 22A just felt cheap but was very accurate. Thinking about the new Smith Victory but would like to hear some local reviews first, not just magazine hype. Ultimately my favorite is still the Hi-Standard Supermatic Citation that I sold (excuse me while I go and kick myself in the ass again...) to get something that I thought I really needed.

Keep the votes coming, I find it really interesting what people vote for, especially in the other category.

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I should explain what I voted for, since I failed to do so in my original post. DOH!!! At one time or another I have owned most on the list and shot the others. I have owned several Ruger Mk. IIs and IIIs in target and 22/45 configurations but they always left me wanting more. The Buckmark was nice but still not up to my expectations. Liked the Smith 41 but didn't get to really put it through the paces, the 22A just felt cheap but was very accurate. Thinking about the new Smith Victory but would like to hear some local reviews first, not just magazine hype. Ultimately my favorite is still the Hi-Standard Supermatic Citation that I sold (excuse me while I go and kick myself in the ass again...) to get something that I thought I really needed.

Keep the votes coming, I find it really interesting what people vote for, especially in the other category.
A friend of mine has one of those and loves it. He bought it right after they came out and even sold his 22/45 after getting it. He can't say enough good things about it. I've shot it and it's definitely nice, it just doesn't fit me right.

We both shoot rimfire challenge and he uses it all the time with very few issues.

pcolaboy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kimber, master carry, 22lr, with Kimberconventions kit, with crimson trace lasor grips, on the money, Ruger mark lll second weapon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom