what is your trunk monkey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't really thought too much about it, but I have an ancient Spanish 12-bore side-by-side of unknown make, that I could hide behind the seat of my Silverado if push came to shove.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can I ask why you all feel the need to have one in your car? I am not asking because I am judging. I am curious. I have a CCW but dont always carry because I have kids in school, etc. So what do you do when you go onto school property, etc if you have one in your trunk?

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can I ask why you all feel the need to have one in your car? I am not asking because I am judging. I am curious. I have a CCW but dont always carry because I have kids in school, etc. So what do you do when you go onto school property, etc if you have one in your trunk?

The same thing I do with my carry gun: Leave it in the car. HGL = legal mag-loaded rifle &/or handgun. Both are legal to be left in the car on school property with the HGL.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest I don't understand why some one would have a need to keep a rifle or shot gun in their vehicle. Ihave had my truck broken into because I had an empty Remington box sitting in the back seat so I can only imagine if the gun was in there. I will add to my thoughts I have 100% grown up in the city I see no reason why I would need anything other then a pistol on me in my truck but I do see where you may need something in the country to protect livestock.

Again this is my opinion but if some one wants to shed light on why carry one I really do want to hear about it and or situations it may be needed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be honest I don't understand why some one would have a need to keep a rifle or shot gun in their vehicle. Ihave had my truck broken into because I had an empty Remington box sitting in the back seat so I can only imagine if the gun was in there. I will add to my thoughts I have 100% grown up in the city I see no reason why I would need anything other then a pistol on me in my truck but I do see where you may need something in the country to protect livestock.

Again this is my opinion but if some one wants to shed light on why carry one I really do want to hear about it and or situations it may be needed.

I've had my house broken into and had guns stolen. Long story that has been on here, but none the less it can happen anywhere.

The story is that a handgun is used to buy time to get to your rifle. It makes sense when you look through the multiple threads on this forum and on the net that show a pistol is not a show stopper or a one round killer in most cases.
He/she that that owns the biggest firepower typically wins the fight.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis In my line of work I completely understand if someone wants something they will get it. I do think homes are a bit more secure then cars as they are not as quick as a smash and grab type of theft.

I do see your point of the pistol buys you time to get to the larger caliber, but again I cannot think of any circumstance that I would need need a rifle on my day to day errands.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis In my line of work I completely understand if someone wants something they will get it. I do think homes are a bit more secure then cars as they are not as quick as a smash and grab type of theft.

I do see your point of the pistol buys you time to get to the larger caliber, but again I cannot think of any circumstance that I would need need a rifle on my day to day errands.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but in your scenero why do you carry a pistol on your hip or in your car at all? What you are saying is the same things gun grabbers say. "Why do you need to carry if you are not expecting to use it. It's not that you have any expectations or intent to use your pistol, you have just prepared to be able to defend yourself. Knowing that if **** hits the fan you are better protected with a rifle or a shotgun than with a handgun many people chose to prepare themselves for that which they do not expect.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for people doing what They want with their guns I'm just saying in my personal experience I can't see any situation to leave a long arm in my truck. I have a good buddy who wants to make a rack for his trunk lid to keep an ar and a shot gun in the trunk of his car at all times. More power to him I helped him come up with ideas on how to make that system work and what he may need to accomplish it, but like I said me personally I can't think of a scenario where I need one right then and there with me.

If the end of days comes where the zombies comes after us or the economy collapses and we are living in a madman style word I feel I would be able to stop at my house and grab what I need and keep it with me then. But for me to run to the Walmart neighbor hood market, academy, or post office I have no reason I need 2-3 guns on my person or in arms reach.

my whole point of me not leaving guns in cars is I feel they are safer locked up in the safe in the house more so in the truck, if you take any of the 90s to mid 00s gm vehicles you can get into them with a little skill and any gm key, why would I feel secure with leaving a gun in there?

Poke I didn't take it as being a smart ass at all, my view on this particular subject can touch that line where some of the gun grabbers like to hang out, the difference between me and them is I A) want to learn about what I don't understand and B) even if I don't agree with it or want to participate in it I really don't care if you keep a gun or 30 guns in your car that's part of you right and I'm not here to take that away from you.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah I agree I typically do not leave any guns in my car for several reasons. Sorry I was reading your post wrong, I thought you were saying that because you don't see the value in carrying a long arm you could not see why others would as well. The gun grabber comment was made in jest but the the point was the same justification you use to carry a pistol is the exact same justification they have for carrying a rifle. Both parties are just arming themselves how they best see fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom