What kind of bullets are these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66Ford

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased some reloading equipment and received approximately 100 reloaded 223 cartridges. I have two questions.

1. I need help identifying the bullets. They appear to be steel with painted red tips. When I inspected the cartridges my fingers turned black (lead?).

2. More than half of the bullets would spin right out of the brass. Should I discard the powder and start new?

ai674.photobucket.com_albums_vv107_jheald_02_ammopicture002.jpg

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased some reloading equipment and received approximately 100 reloaded 223 cartridges. I have two questions.

1. I need help identifying the bullets. They appear to be steel with painted red tips. When I inspected the cartridges my fingers turned black (lead?).

2. More than half of the bullets would spin right out of the brass. Should I discard the powder and start new?

ai674.photobucket.com_albums_vv107_jheald_02_ammopicture002.jpg

Personally, I wouldnt shoot them. I am assuming these were already built when you got them, as in you didnt do the reload?

Make it your golden rule, only shoot what you did. Never trust someone else's work when it comes to something that could result in your injury.

If you werent the one who loaded them, and even if they were 100% legit on inspection, I still wouldnt shoot them. I have seen too many accidents happen when someone doesnt know about the load.

Savvy?

If you did load them, and you doubt them. Dont shoot.

I guess the long and the short of it is, "Is it worth an injury?"

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, take them apart and start over with fresh powder, make sure the brass is sized right because you never know what the last man did to them or how many times they have been reloaded.

If they spin and can be taken off by hand then new primers are in order too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes from the way they look. Just weigh them so you know what you are loading.

Edit: If you are using the same dies that they were originally loaded with, I'd go slow. The expander button sounds a tad too big to me. Bullets shouldn't move that easy. Check them out before you start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom