What Kind Of Critter Makes These?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You wouldn't think crawdads would be in a hay meadow but I find the shells on top of round bales after setting a few days. I guess they get caught fixing their mounds.

That looks like crawdad mound to me.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It must be an awfully small crawdads. The mound in the picture is about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter. I've never seen crawdad mounds that small. Some are even tinier...like dime-sized.

So far, worms get my vote. I looked at some other pics of what earthworms do and it looks exactly like this one.

WormCast-Bowring.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It must be an awfully small crawdads. The mound in the picture is about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter. I've never seen crawdad mounds that small. Some are even tinier...like dime-sized.

So far, worms get my vote. I looked at some other pics of what earthworms do and it looks exactly like this one.

View attachment 342369
That's probably a night crawler worm casting mound. We have them all over our yard. We see the dead ones all the time in the summer when they get out crawling around and get on the hot pavement that dries them out or in the pool.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am jealous. That is a sign of a healthy soil for your lawn. I have a few more years of work, but we are trying to get our clay broken down enough to really get a good colony of worms started to help us aerate the lawn and gardens.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crawdad mounds are way bigger and the hole in the center is usually about the size of a quarter, maybe a little bigger. I used to fight those things hard at the old house. I get the same mounds in my yard now and I have always just assumed they are worms as well.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No... Rabbit scat looks like Cocoa Puffs...but don't taste nearly as good. 😝 These are made of dirt.

Years ago, 5yo grandson wanted to go rabbit hunting.

As we left the house, I put a packet of Sugar Babies candies in my shirt pocket.
As we walked the pasture, I was popping the candies in my mouth.

We had jumped a couple rabbits and was walking the fence, when he noticed me putting the candy in my mouth. He asked what was I eating?

I stop, look down and pop another candy in; "I'm eating rabbit turds." I point at the ground, a pile of rabbit droppings. He is walking over to look and the rabbit bolts.
I shoot it and eat another candy. He retrieves the rabbit and I give him a few candies.

Monday afternoon, I was at grocery store and see his kindergarten teacher. I have known her for years. She is married to a farmer and has 3 boys. The youngest was 5. She sees me and starts laughing, walks over and says, "I have to hear what happened. This morning, I had the kids stand up in front of the class and tell of their weekend excitement. Kevin walks up and says, " I went rabbit hunting with Papa and we ate rabbit turds! I never knew they were so good."
Told her the story. She is laughing hysterically and says, "Jeff is taking the boys out, this weekend. I am getting him some candies."

Grandson is 19 and still calls Sugar Babies, rabbit turds.

On subject: worms

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at all the people talking **** here!

Looks a bit like rabbit, we have a bit of a problem at the house currently. However rabbit does look more like sugar babies and is about the size of a pea. Fun fact, rabbits and hares eat their own excrement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom