What level of retention for open carry holsters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most of those kydex/plastic holsters are a terrible choice for weapon retention. A good yank or two and the whole thing snaps off of your belt. The ALS may be the one exception.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember seeing videos of that occurring with Fobus holsters.

My Safariland ALS holster is pretty solid. I don't think it's going to come off with just a yank in the middle of a fight.

Edited for reading fail!...LOL.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. But things change. MB wrote that excellent piece back in 2005, almost a decade ago. People hated the M-16 when it first came out too. People said Glocks were plastic junk when they came out.

Has MB or anyone evaluated any of the current crop of OWB kydex/plastic/composite offerings or are we just going to repeat the mantra that "kydex sucks for retention" forever after 2005?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That goes both ways. Who's done the testing on non-kydex OWB retention holsters?

Saying "kydex sucks" for OWB retention because of a single video of a crappy Fobus paddle holster is a very weak argument. But it's a good point...I wonder, in the 10 years since MB wrote that, how many other types of composite holsters he's seen come through FOF training.

If someone wants to donate the cash for a 7377 7TS ALS holster...I'll do a test LOL.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael Brown has done testing on leather and kydex, IWB and OWB. I don't know if he's tested new design OWB kydex or if they even have been redesigned. I wasn't talking about some video about a Fobus. I was talking about the years of experience and real world training that Mr. Brown has done and has shared with us. The physics don't change though.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The physics don't change, but the materials and the uses for those materials do. A lot of holsters out there that you would refer to as "kydex", aren't. MB has a lot of experience, and I value all of it. But that doesn't mean he is beyond question or doubt. Much of his work and opinion is based on the perspective of a uniformed law enforcement officer. Tactics, gear, intended use, and priorities differ widely between the armed civilian and the armed officer. Since we all aren't required, or even likely, to close with and subdue offenders, we all don't need to wear a leather duty belt and holster with level IV retention around town when we carry our blaster.

Modern composites are lightweight, durable, affordable and offer decent levels of retention for an armed civilian. I highly doubt that the more modern composites will break off the belt with "a good yank or two".

That being said, you've caused me to think about it. Time for some research and maybe a test. Maybe some of our local kydex/plastic/composite makers will donate a piece or two?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll admit I was using a bit of hyperbole. It will take more than a couple yanks. I think the typical failure would occur if you got into a scuffle with someone and you and the bad guy fell and landed on your fancy plastic holster. That's how and when it gets damaged. Then in the ensuring right for your gun, it breaks off. And I certainly concede your point about the needs of an officer vs civilian being different. No question about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom