What level of retention for open carry holsters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I OWB carry in a leather holster. According to Marshall Luton, with a leather holster the leather offers all the retention you need without extra retention devices. For those who don't know who Marshall is http://tdsatulsa.com/instructors.php

Impressive, but hes still teaching .mil and LEO

What about us ornery run of the mill civvies

To the OP my retention is ..my shirt.. ;O .... loveyalmeanit

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I OWB carry in a leather holster. According to Marshall Luton, with a leather holster the leather offers all the retention you need without extra retention devices. For those who don't know who Marshall is http://tdsatulsa.com/instructors.php

That's just as interesting as the "kydex/plastic sucks for OWB because I can break it off your belt" thing.

What is it about leather that magically keeps a pistol in it's holster without any retention devices? Is he talking just "walking around" retention or FOF gun grab retention?

Seriously. I made sound snarky but this thread has peaked my interest...I admit my retention/gun grab training is seriously lacking, so I'm curious. So far the tone is, according to two respected trainers, that anyone carrying OWB in anything other than leather is an untrained, inexperienced gun grab victim waiting to happen. Makes you wonder why kydex/composites are all the rage.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMS I believe you miss took what I posted. I never said anything about kydex sucking and neither did the trainer I was referring to. The statement was made that if you are carrying a quality leather holster that other retention devices were not needed. And that's what I tried to relay. In fact all the instructors at the AP1 class were in fact wearing kydex holsters. They weren't talking them down. In fact they were talking about how much faster you could present your weapon from kydex vs leather.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that was just where we had drifted. doc and I were discussing MB's thoughts on kydex, especially during FOF gun grabs and I thought you were weighing in that ML pretty much agreed...and that leather provided the necessary retention in that scenario.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the AP1 class I was in when he made that statement their were only 2 LEO's and neither one of them were carrying leather holsters. Marshall is very much pro armed "run of the mill civvies" as you put it.

AHH, I didnt see that in the class schedule...Again...Thanks for the info.

I'll have to look into it.
Tulsa is a little bit of a drive , but we have a couple of ex LEO that are pretty good at teaching that , over in Duncan

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
serpa = pure crap. when they first came out I tried one. used it in a 2 day class on a some what sandy range and grit got in it and it would not release the gun.many police departments and most professional trainers ban them from use
serpa sucks.jpg

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
serpa = pure crap. when they first came out I tried one. used it in a 2 day class on a some what sandy range and grit got in it and it would not release the gun.many police departments and most professional trainers ban them from use
View attachment 40384

Well crap Im 0-3 today, might as well carry it in my pocket, but ..Thanks for clueing me in.
Ill look again and ask , but thats what our Fire Marshals carry, and LEO too

Latest posts

Top Bottom