What made this hole(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I am going to see if a welder friend of mine might be able to fill the hole, or maybe try to thread the hole and put a bolt in it with silicone and see if I can get it to hold air. I’m not sure at this point… If I can’t fix it, I will definitely see if I can duplicate the hole.

I was always taught to not weld on car wheels. To many what if’s can happen going at highway speeds. Especially if it’s an aluminum wheel I wouldn’t do it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For them wheel, call junk yards. I got one for Wif's Mustang for $50. Dealer wanted $180.

From what she said about the sound and the hole, I'm fairly sure she ran over a steel rod of some kind. It went through tire. Rotated around and punched through rim.

I sure hope it isn't a centerfire rifle rounds.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weird stuff happens. I had a tire ruined by a chicken bone stuck through the inside-sidewall. Craziest $#T ever. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. So please don't eat KFC and lay that trash on Oklahoma roads lol

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to see if a welder friend of mine might be able to fill the hole, or maybe try to thread the hole and put a bolt in it with silicone and see if I can get it to hold air. I’m not sure at this point… If I can’t fix it, I will definitely see if I can duplicate the hole.
You will need a new rim I'm betting. I wouldn't try to repair it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poor boy that thing back onto the road. Wheel and tire is easily fixed.

In a pinch without a welder you could drill the hole a bit larger and stick a valve stem into it backwards.
Welding on wheels is not a big deal many aluminum rims are welded together.

Some are bolted together.
If you do get another rim because you are scared of it then save it for a spare.
Do a simple cheap fix on it and keep it around.
I would not be scared to JB weld that hole.

I use it on aluminum all the time and submersed in gasoline it holds up perfectly.

I have cut 2 steel rims and welded them together with 6011 and Lincoln AC 225 welder to make a 10" wide rim from a couple 7" rims.

Do not want to drill the hole larger you could get a screw that fit the hole well and twist it in and then once it is threaded in back it out and cut it shorter so it is just gets through the rim apply JB weld to the hole and screw and screw it in and let it set up.

I have repaired a 1" long cut in a sidewall on a 235-75-15 with E6000 and ran it on my trailer until the tread was slick.
Tire was almost new when it happened.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My man, I'm fairly sure you've taped enough targets to know what did that. :comfort:

I'd be calling and reporting it. I say this because I myself seen a .270 shoot a 130 grain Speer spitzer boat tail right through 3/4" steel plate at 50 yards and my buddy's 7mm Mag did it at 75 with a 140. The jackets stuck on the front but the lead core went right on through. Granted it was A36 mild, low carbon plate left over from a job at work, but we were both pretty wide eyed over it.

Aluminum? Most any centerfire rifle would do that like it wasn't even there man...
When I saw the hole, that was my first thought, I just can’t prove anything. We did call the police and file a report. The officer said the investigator(s) would contact us.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poor boy that thing back onto the road.

In a pinch without a welder you could drill the hole a bit larger and stick a valve stem into it backwards.

Do not want to drill the hole larger you could get a screw that fit the hole well and twist it in and then once it is threaded in back it out and cut it shorter so it is just gets through the rim apply JB weld to the hole and screw and screw it in and let it set up.

These ideas came up when I was talking to my welder friend. Thanks for the confirmation!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think about this for a minute or 2.
Many rims on cars going 3X highway speed had many holes drilled into the rim at the tire bead area and screws ran througn those holes and into the tire bead to keep the tire from spinning on the wheel.

I have drilled some myself.
I have ran as fast as 176 MPH with multiple holes in my wheels.
Never had any issues.
Well except for stopping :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom