What makes reloading more accurate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reducing felt recoil is much more efficiently accomplished by hardware changes. Speaking specifically about the AR platform, increasing the mass of the reciprocating components, using a muzzle brake, longer length gas system, can all have a larger net effects on recoil than changing cartridge components.
Lighter bullets, and reduced velocity loads come in next. In my experience, lighter bullets have more effect on reducing recoil than lighter, or slower powder loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Making reloads more accurate I hate to say is NOT consistency.
If it was that then all powder charges and all bullet seating depth if kept the same would be accurate and they my friend are not.

It is not more FPS and it is not less FPS.

It is the ability to find the load that each gun wants.

Where that load lies is in the zip code of barrel harmonics.

A barrel will move when the ammo is set off. Some call this whip some say harmonics others may call it oscillate.
Whatever you call it there is a period of time when the barrel muzzle is in an area of peacefulness .. lets use that word.

This peacefulness is in the center-line of all that is good in the universe ,,It the muzzle is there for a nano second, You get the bullet to leave the muzzle at this point in time and you have found the accuracy node.
Usually you can be as much as .5gr off in powder weight and still be in this Node.

You can try to play the fps game and may find the upper Node and you can also find a lower accuracy Node.

That is what I feel makes an accurate load.

Read this and look at post 3 DFX target he shot.. that was some many times fired brass that was wiped clean it was different head stamps and loaded at the range with a 454casull case used to measure powder.
Not consistent.. but was in the accuracy Node.
It was his best group of the day.. and the upper hole was a winchester case with a crack line in the case head. Zero Consistency .
here is the post.
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?217089-308-Winchester-More-brass-testing

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reducing felt recoil is much more efficiently accomplished by hardware changes. Speaking specifically about the AR platform, increasing the mass of the reciprocating components, using a muzzle brake, longer length gas system, can all have a larger net effects on recoil than changing cartridge components.
Lighter bullets, and reduced velocity loads come in next. In my experience, lighter bullets have more effect on reducing recoil than lighter, or slower powder loads.

This is mainly aimed at the mil surps I'm planning on loading for, reducing the brutality of the mosin.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No body would deny that proper load development to find the most precise load for a given barrel is necessary. However, consistency in reproducing that load is key to accuracy.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Making reloads more accurate I hate to say is NOT consistency.
If it was that then all powder charges and all bullet seating depth if kept the same would be accurate and they my friend are not.

It is not more FPS and it is not less FPS.

It is the ability to find the load that each gun wants.

Where that load lies is in the zip code of barrel harmonics.

A barrel will move when the ammo is set off. Some call this whip some say harmonics others may call it oscillate.
Whatever you call it there is a period of time when the barrel muzzle is in an area of peacefulness .. lets use that word.

This peacefulness is in the center-line of all that is good in the universe ,,It the muzzle is there for a nano second, You get the bullet to leave the muzzle at this point in time and you have found the accuracy node.
Usually you can be as much as .5gr off in powder weight and still be in this Node.

You can try to play the fps game and may find the upper Node and you can also find a lower accuracy Node.

That is what I feel makes an accurate load.

Read this and look at post 3 DFX target he shot.. that was some many times fired brass that was wiped clean it was different head stamps and loaded at the range with a 454casull case used to measure powder.
Not consistent.. but was in the accuracy Node.
It was his best group of the day.. and the upper hole was a winchester case with a crack line in the case head. Zero Consistency .
here is the post.
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?217089-308-Winchester-More-brass-testing

So pretty much it's working up the loads until the gun likes it and then staying in that zone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So pretty much it's working up the loads until the gun likes it and then staying in that zone.

Not always. Certain powders are temperature sensitive resulting in higher or lower velocities depending on the ambient temperature, and altitude is another factor to consider when the load is tested.

If you hunt flatland in Ok for deer season, and then move to the mountains for elk, there is a significant difference in some powders. Not so much in others.

So you can see there is always going to be variable in each load unless you hunt the same temperature, same altitude every year.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you make reloads more accurate is it the constanancy of the loads or being able to obtain higher fps or a combination.
Making small changes in your components and technique in your reload. You will need to be consistent in both to help verify better accuracy. Finding a bullet that does not get affected by small changes may help the most.

Latest posts

Top Bottom