what paper work do i need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I think you're over complicating things. It's not really a big deal to do the paperwork, just read the form and fill in the blanks.

You can either order the forms and have them sent to you by mail and fill them out by hand or type, or fill in the forms from the BATFE website in PDF format and fill in the blanks and hit print. MAKE SURE THAT THE COPIES ARE DOUBLE SIDED OR THEY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!

www.atf.gov

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i tend over complicated things, and i am confused by all of the lawyer and goverment talk LOL. it is a combo i will see if my chief or sherriff will help me fill it out.

I doubt that they will fill it out for you. All they are going to do is sign the backs of the two copies with their titles and the date signed. Depending on your location and the NFA activity in your area they may not even know what the forms are.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have one that said he would help me and tell me what to fill out and how i guess we are good friends and he knows the paper work pretty well. he used to work for the norman PD and now is our Cheif he is an amazing guy.

would you get the gun ingraved after or before you get approved. and then i was going to wait to see if got approved before i bought the upper as well is that wise or no.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good deal that you found someone to help you. Just make sure he is the Chief. The forms require the CLEO's signature. My son recently got his sent back because the Undersheriff signed the form instead of the Sheriff.

When you engrave it is totally up to you. I got mine engraved shortly after I sent off the Form 1. This particular receiver was a Christmas gift from a friend and I have no intention of ever getting rid of it, so I engraved my information on it.

It's required to be engraved when you get the form 1 back from BATFE. I would suggest calling BATFE and ask them for the latest engraving requirements because they seem to change with every phase of the moon.

The Form 1 will also ask for barrel length and overall length. The way I do it if I am building an AR type of rifle is to measure an AR with a 16" barrel with the stock extended. The last one I built was with a 10" barrel. Just subtract the length of the shorter barrel from the longer one and you have your overall length.

Legally you can't have all of the components in possession or assembled together until you have the approved Form 1. The Feds get a little irritated about it if you do. It's a Felony with a $250,000.00 fine attached.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah i know you cannot have it put together before you are approved, but it is also illegal to own a pistol upper and and AR lower even though they are not attached, that is what i took from what you said.

and yes he is the chief, but i appreciate the affirmation thank you.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want some answers pm me your number and I'll answer them all. There are a lot of details that can be involved in building an sbr. It can be very simple, but also very simple to break the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom