What pistol for ipsc or idpa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, my buddy Kelly used to shoot ipsc and idpa and has talked me into giving it a go with him. I will have a basic springfield xd 5inch in 9mm. Would this be a good pistol to run. Also, I might like to give things a try w/ my gp100 357. Any input?

Trevor

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The XD will work fine for either discipline. The Ruger will work, but if you shoot IPSC you'll need a bunch of speedloaders and holders. For IDPA you'll only need 3.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock's and M&P's rule the roost for IDPA and USPSA ssp/production division. XD's are fine, but will put you in ESP for IDPA.

If you are just starting out, shoot what you have until you decide to go further, then you can decide what you want from there. Glock 34's or M&P Pro's are the go to guns for both.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out shooting production with an xdm9. Since everybody else was using G17/34 and M&P9/Pro I bought those about 6 months after I started to see what all of the hype was about. All 3 guns ran great. I settled on the G34 because it exhibited the least muzzle flip of the 3 which meant I shot it faster. I attribute the reduced muzzle flip to the grip angle, bigger grip which gave me a better grip, lower slide height which means the barrel is lower and closer to my hand, and I believe the barrel/slide is a little longer than the M&P9 and an inch longer then the XDM9. YMMV

The glock is also most popular so parts readily available and anyone can/will work on them.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
I started out shooting production with an xdm9. Since everybody else was using G17/34 and M&P9/Pro I bought those about 6 months after I started to see what all of the hype was about. All 3 guns ran great. I settled on the G34 because it exhibited the least muzzle flip of the 3 which meant I shot it faster. I attribute the reduced muzzle flip to the grip angle, bigger grip which gave me a better grip, lower slide height which means the barrel is lower and closer to my hand, and I believe the barrel/slide is a little longer than the M&P9 and an inch longer then the XDM9. YMMV

The glock is also most popular so parts readily available and anyone can/will work on them.

I'm with Jesse on this one. I went straight to the G34, and love it. I've only had a few malfunction, but those were due to a bad reloads.

The one thing I do like about the M&P Pro is the dovetail. You can get a real high grip on that gun without having to worry about "Glock bite".

Ask a few guys to shoot their Glocks and M&Ps. You can shoot mine if you want.

For now, shoot your XD until you decide you are going to take the blue pill.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have some great advice already. Revolver has some great challenges as well and many folks think that revo is the most fun you can have at an USPSA match. I carry eight moonclips when I go to the line. The minimum I would recommend is six. In addition to USPSA/IDPA we also have ICORE competitions in the OKCGC. There is a dedicated core of revolver shooters that are very willing to help us beginners shoot a revolver here in Oklahoma. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The XD, especially with a trigger job, gives up nothing to the other 2 when it comes to shooting fast and accurately.

While you can get by with only 3 magazines in IDPA, the prudent shooter has a bunch of them. This allows him to toss muddy mags in the side-pocket and use fresh, clean ones for the next stage. Or as often happens, you have to shoot sooner than you thought, so you just recharge your mag pouches with pre-loaded mags. The same reasoning applies to speedloaders.

The revolver has to have a 4" barrel or less to be allowed in IDPA.

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to thread hijack, but is there value in going to .40 over 9mm in these competitions? I'm considering getting a longslide glock, but would like to stick to the .40 caliber platform. Or am I just handicapping myself by using .40 without any benefit?

Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom