What popular gun do you not understand the appeal of?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything Russian or Chinese/Russian patterned. I absolutely hate the smell of Chinese metal/oil and Harbor Freight too.. LOL

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP, Ruger LCP. Just why?

Well, as an early adopter of the LCP, I can tell you why. Back when it was first released, you had two real options for small carry guns. The Keltec and Seecamp .32 and .380 variants. The Keltec were of dubious reliability and was also cheapish and comparatively crude. The Seecamp were relatively expensive and were reportedly unreliable with anything aside from Silvertip ammo, plus had a 2 year waiting list on orders.

In 2008, Ruger released an affordable and reliable .380 (once the recall was resolved). There was a wave of people who could get a gun to carry that was relatively affordable and they had confidence in its quality. A middle ground in easy of carry and firepower between the Glock 26 and the NAA .22 mag revolver. I was one of those, who finally had a gun that was easy enough to carry literally every day.

Now nearly 10 years later, we have a lot more .380 options plus all kinds of compact slim 9mm options (besides the Rorhbaugh and Kahr) out there. But back in 2008, the LCP checked a lot of boxes that other pistols did not.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, as an early adopter of the LCP, I can tell you why. Back when it was first released, you had two real options for small carry guns. The Keltec and Seecamp .32 and .380 variants. The Keltec were of dubious reliability and was also cheapish and comparatively crude. The Seecamp were relatively expensive and were reportedly unreliable with anything aside from Silvertip ammo, plus had a 2 year waiting list on orders.

In 2008, Ruger released an affordable and reliable .380 (once the recall was resolved). There was a wave of people who could get a gun to carry that was relatively affordable and they had confidence in its quality. A middle ground in easy of carry and firepower between the Glock 26 and the NAA .22 mag revolver. I was one of those, who finally had a gun that was easy enough to carry literally every day.

Now nearly 10 years later, we have a lot more .380 options plus all kinds of compact slim 9mm options (besides the Rorhbaugh and Kahr) out there. But back in 2008, the LCP checked a lot of boxes that other pistols did not.
The later generations of the Keltec P3AT have proven to be totally reliable.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The later generations of the Keltec P3AT have proven to be totally reliable.

I don't disagree about lately, but it was a different sentiment entirely back in 2008. For example and also for example. Lost of guns being sent back to Florida for some buffing and polishing to fix FTF and I believe less often of the two, FTE issues. This had a lot of people hot for the LCP back then.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care for the russian/chinese variants and a lot of the old milsurp. My eyes suck so the ability to put a good scope on is critical. I used to despise Glocks and plastic garbage until I got a Sig P320 and have absolutely loved that platform (I have 4 in different sizes) and decided to branch out and picked up a used G17, it was awful to shoot until I sent it in for a grip reduction and stipple job, now it's one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I have quite a few Sigs and rely on them as my daily carry, whether it's a 938, 226, 229, or 239. My first pistol was a Sig, a 2022 and it was absolutely terrible and I didn't think I'd ever purchase a Sig again but fell for a 229 that just felt great to shoot and it was downhill from there.

I'm pretty surprised to hear so many say they don't like ARs. In my opinion they're such a fun rifle to shoot that you should have one in every caliber and configuration just for kicks.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't disagree about lately, but it was a different sentiment entirely back in 2008. For example and also for example. Lost of guns being sent back to Florida for some buffing and polishing to fix FTF and I believe less often of the two, FTE issues. This had a lot of people hot for the LCP back then.

yep... There's a reason "Kel-tec fluff and buff" is a search engine phrase.
I have a 10 year old p32 that was fluffed and buffed and I still carry it occasionally, but today I would opt for an LCP in the same circumstances.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, remember those days. The first gen Ruger LCP had a big recall on their first gen too if I remember right.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, remember those days. The first gen Ruger LCP had a big recall on their first gen too if I remember right.

Yessir. It was for drop safety concerns and a new hammer was fitted to resolve the matter. Which obviously was a concern that needed addressed, wasn't a reliability issue in the same sense that the KelTec had with their FTF and FTE.

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on my second lcp. If I could pocket carry a 9mm I would. but until then my trusty stainless lcp goes everywhere.

Now to answer the original question, 308 rifles. I don't get why everyone wants/has them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom