What presses you guys use??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
lee 4 hole turret and a classic lee "O" press. TCummings, don't worry about loosing out on the pro 1000. they are a PITA and if you get out of sequence or run out of powder, primers, etc. you have to cycle all the shells through and remember where they were in the cycle, yada, yada. not to mention, they get gritty and don't slide the shell into place. the turret works fine for me.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Lee 4 hole turret for .223, .243, .270, .44-40, and .45-70. I have the Lee Pro 1000 for .45ACP. I'm happy with both. The Pro 1000 has a couple of features I really like; 1. it won't feed primers unless a case is present, and 2. it won't drop powder unless a case is present. Cons: the instruction manual is pretty weak, although with patience and hands on fiddling I finally figured it all out. Another good thing is the lee website http://www.leeprecision.com has a bunch of instructional videos. The primer system is bothersome at times, put a little graphite powder on the primer slide and that will help. And it must be on a level mount.

Edit: if you decide on a Pro1000, spring for the bullet feeder. It's pretty tight quarters where you have to manually set the bullet on the case.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a small-time reloader but I have a Lee 4 hole turret and a couple single stages. I have all the stuff to setup the turret for indexing but haven't yet. I just manually rotate it to the next station. One of these years I'll get something like a Dillon.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the price its hard for me to not want to try the Lee turret. Dont really NEED a progressive but would be convenient at times. Not really a really high volume shooter but can be at times.

Those of you using the lee turrets...which powder measure are you using? the disk or the adjustable one...and do you prime with the press or do it by hand?

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started a few years ago with a Lee single press and the moved to a Lee Classic Turret press. It is a well built piece of equipment, but still pretty slow in comparison to the progressives. I sold the turret press and bought a Dillon 550B. I load 44 spl/44 mag, 45 acp and 45 colt with the 550B. I have separate tool heads set up for each of those calibers. I have two Dillon powder dispensers on the heads and (total blasphemy) two Lee powder dispensers on two. I use the disc setup on the Lee dispensers and have tweaked the holes to throw exactly the charge I want (OK unless there is a change of powder). I also have a Dillon Square Deal B that is dedicated to 38 spl/357 mag. Never had a minutes problem with that little press. Finally, I have a Lyman turret press that I use to occasionally load a few .380 and 40 s&w. I have a mixture of dies in the presses. I have Dillon dies for the 550 B's, but use Hornady seating dies instead of the Dillon's. I use RCBS dies on the Lyman press. The only press that I've tried and abandoned is a Lee Pro 1000 that I bought to load 9mm with. Between my lack of patience with the primer setup and the lower cost of 9mm ammo, I gave up on that press. I can't honestly say that I gave it much of a chance though. I have no experience loading rifle cartridges.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a rcbs single stage, I think it's called the junior. And I've got a lee classic turret press. I'm still what I would call a beginning reloader so I do not use the auto index feature. I use it more like a single stage that holds all of your dies in adjustment for you. For new reloaders or for people that cannot keep track of several things happening all at once, I think the lee classic turret is probably the best bang for the buck. Not as fast as a true progressive but a whole lot faster than a single stage. That suits me just fine.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Lee single stage, RCBS single stage, Lee Turret, Dillon 550.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_4c087c81.jpg

The Lee's aren't set up in this picture.

If you've been loading for a while, get a progressive; unless you are on an extremely tight budget.

I'd recommend either the Dillon 550 or the Hornady LnL AP.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TCummings ---- somewhere I have an old lee 1000 that was set up for 223. It would need a lot of TLC but if you want it I'll give it to ya. With a little effort it might be a good candidate for your 300 AAC. Just PM me and I'll start digging through boxes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom