What presses you guys use??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TCummings ---- somewhere I have an old lee 1000 that was set up for 223. It would need a lot of TLC but if you want it I'll give it to ya. With a little effort it might be a good candidate for your 300 AAC. Just PM me and I'll start digging through boxes.

PM sent sir, you are awesome.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
For the price its hard for me to not want to try the Lee turret. Dont really NEED a progressive but would be convenient at times. Not really a really high volume shooter but can be at times.

Those of you using the lee turrets...which powder measure are you using? the disk or the adjustable one...and do you prime with the press or do it by hand?

i use the auto disc and look for a powder that i can use in a couple of calibers so i don't have to change every time. i prime both ways. the primer option almost seems like an after thought. i am usually ready to catch the primer if it falls. it works fine if i smack pretty good but seems like the plastic will give out soon(even though it hasn't). still the bast bang for the buck IMHO.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Dillon 550 (primary) and Rockchucker (low volume/precision/backup).
The 550 is rugged and covers rifle and pistol ammo at a low caliber conversion cost. There are 550 Dillon parts available on the used market IF you know what you're buying and why and are willing to search for deals. They've been in production since 1985.
The Rockchucker is for small runs, precision ammo, and a backup press if the 550 is ever down (unlikely).

I started with a Lee turrent setup which was fine, but I stuck with it for too long. I went almost 2 years without any non-22LR shooting because I didn't want to see, touch, or use that damned turrent press yet wouldn't buy factory centerfire ammo. I finally spent the money for an old Dillon press (RL450) and regretted not having spent the money years earlier. Loading pistol ammo today on a single stage or turret press is a great way to kill the fun associated with pistol shooting unless it is something low volume like long-range target or hunting. If you're wanting to shoot a bunch of pistol ammo, then spend the money to buy a press designed to load a bunch of ammo in a reasonably short time. Average cost per loaded round is not the only important thing to consider. If I had to reload much pistol ammo on a single stage press, I'd rather get a job at a fast-food place and buy retail plinking ammo instead of reloading it. Your time is worth something, you just have to figure out what it's worth.

What he said is correct. I have the Turret, and don't like loading large amounts of ammo on it. I use it for loads or calibers I shoot enough of to be a pain on the single stage, but not enough to be worth a setup on the 550. Like .38 +P, .357 mag, odd 9mm loads, etc. I load standard .38, 9mm, and .223 on the progressive.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Looking into getting a turret or progressive press soon as I only have a rock chucker and an old pacific single stage. loading a mess of .38spl or .45acp SUCKS! What kinds you guys have? why you pic that one? how well you like it? what extras you have for it or think are required?

more or less will be turning out plinking ammo for .38sp, .45 acp, .223, 30-06 M2 ball for the garand, and what ever my next semi auto pistol is (coming soon i hope).

Do you already have dies for each?

how have you got along with the turret press? is it auto index? have you had to replace the plastic index bushing yet?

For the price its hard for me to not want to try the Lee turret. Dont really NEED a progressive but would be convenient at times. Not really a really high volume shooter but can be at times.

Those of you using the lee turrets...which powder measure are you using? the disk or the adjustable one...and do you prime with the press or do it by hand?

I have the old style turret. I have replaced the index bushing a couple times (over the course of several thousand rounds). It is auto indexing. Mine's old enough that the indexing doesn't work quite right. I usually have to make sure it full seated to the next station.

I use a Lee Auto-Disk. Want to get one of the Pro Auto-Disk meters because it allows you to shut off the powder flow and change the charge without having to empty the hopper.

From what I have been reading it costs more to change over calibers on the dillon? especially the square deal, but it wont do rifle ammo so no go for me. whats required/recommended in a caliber swap on a dillon or hornady?

As far as caliber changes. I hate (read HAAAATE!!!!) changing the charge on the Dillon meters, since there's no graduations on the charge bar. I should probably get new charge bars for each caliber. Instead, I have a separate powder meter for each tool head. Actually, they came with the press when I bought it off here.

If you're only loading a few calibers on the progressive, and large lots with infrequent caliber changes, you could be fine with only one or two meters. But for quick changes, you want the meter set up for that caliber, then just swap tool heads and shell plates.

A full quick change for the Dillon 550 is $230, or $160 minus the powder meter. Per caliber.

For giggles, I spec'ed out what I would buy if I was getting a Dillon 550 for the calibers you mentioned.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Forums_Dillon5504cals.jpg

Here's for a Lee Turret for the same calibers.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Forums_LeeTurret4cals.jpg

If you get a Hornady LnL, you can save about $300 over the 550, and it's auto indexing, and a 5 station press; vs 4 station and manual indexing.

So the question comes down to this: How much are you going to reload?

If you're going to reload a couple hundred a month, and that's divided between 4 calibers, get the Lee. If you will be loading 500-100 or more of one caliber before switching, get the Dillon.

Not counting additional time for rifle loading, you can load ~200/hr on the Lee, and ~400-500/hr on the Dillon. So you're looking at roughly 2-2.5x as much of your time with the Lee.

If you figure an average of $.20/rd saving on those 4 calibers. .223 won't get that, .30-06 will be more. .38 will be that, .45 maybe, maybe not. Then you can figure you would save $200 / mo if you are loading a thousand a month. That's only 5 months longer to pay off the Dillon. At 200/mo, you're looking at 24 months extra to pay off the Dillon.

Either way, if you stick with reloading, you'll probably end up with the Dillon sooner or later anyways. But on the same token, I still use and am glad to have the Lee Turret press.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you reasonably get 200 rounds per hour with a current-design Lee turret press? If so, that is impressive and a big improvement on the old 3-die version I used (then happily sold) in the 90's.

A Dillon 550 setup will certainly be more expensive than the Lee turret, but you skewed the numbers a lot in some of your choices. You assumed Dillon dies in the 550; Lee dies can be used in either press just fine. You added in all of the "Cadillac" accessories and upgrades that are absolutely not required to use a 550 press. You also assumed a powder measure for every caliber, the Lee dies with a (cheap in every sense; try using a fine ball powder sometime) Lee powder measure will work in a 550 if you really must have a separate powder measure for every caliber; most don't see that need. The Dillon powder measure isn't that hard to adjust and the Lee auto-disk takes less than a minute to change the powder setting. You also didn't consider common parts in the 550 caliber conversion kits. For example, 30-06 and 45acp use the same shellplate and brass buttons. The only difference between the 2 is the powder funnel and that sells for $12-14 or so.

On the Hornady LNL-AP press, only consider the latest model with all of the improvements (especially concerning case ejection). Several years ago, I sold off a complete Dillon 550 setup to buy a complete, but now older model, Hornady LNL-AP setup. It had the case feeder and everything. I even worked out a custom solution to expand the case necks while dropping powder at the same time, just like Dillon has always done, to make it a REAL 5-station progressive press. In less than a year, I had sold off the Hornady press and accessories entirely due to press design problems (primarily, but not exclusively, case ejection issues) and purchased a used Dillon 550 system again.

To be fair, I would consider a new model (only!) LNL-AP setup if I were in your situation. I'll stick to my Dillon 550 setup and have bought enough accessories and spare parts on the used market to keep me going for years. 400 rounds an hour is enough for me and I don't need an electric case feeder. Others may have different needs and/or opinions. Educate yourself then find the best solution for your situation.

Auto-Indexing is over-rated if someone comes from a single-stage press background. Add an electric case-feeder to a progressive press, THEN auto-indexing is worth considering.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Can you reasonably get 200 rounds per hour with a current-design Lee turret press? If so, that is impressive and a big improvement on the old 3-die version I used (then happily sold) in the 90's.

A Dillon 550 setup will certainly be more expensive than the Lee turret, but you skewed the numbers a lot in some of your choices. You assumed Dillon dies in the 550; Lee dies can be used in either press just fine. You added in all of the "Cadillac" accessories and upgrades that are absolutely not required to use a 550 press. You also assumed a powder measure for every caliber, the Lee dies with a (cheap in every sense; try using a fine ball powder sometime) Lee powder measure will work in a 550 if you really must have a separate powder measure for every caliber; most don't see that need. The Dillon powder measure isn't that hard to adjust and the Lee auto-disk takes less than a minute to change the powder setting. You also didn't consider common parts in the 550 caliber conversion kits. For example, 30-06 and 45acp use the same shellplate and brass buttons. The only difference between the 2 is the powder funnel and that sells for $12-14 or so.

On the Hornady LNL-AP press, only consider the latest model with all of the improvements (especially concerning case ejection). Several years ago, I sold off a complete Dillon 550 setup to buy a complete, but now older model, Hornady LNL-AP setup. It had the case feeder and everything. I even worked out a custom solution to expand the case necks while dropping powder at the same time, just like Dillon has always done, to make it a REAL 5-station progressive press. In less than a year, I had sold off the Hornady press and accessories entirely due to press design problems (primarily, but not exclusively, case ejection issues) and purchased a used Dillon 550 system again.

To be fair, I would consider a new model (only!) LNL-AP setup if I were in your situation. I'll stick to my Dillon 550 setup and have bought enough accessories and spare parts on the used market to keep me going for years. 400 rounds an hour is enough for me and I don't need an electric case feeder. Others may have different needs and/or opinions. Educate yourself then find the best solution for your situation.

Auto-Indexing is over-rated if someone comes from a single-stage press background. Add an electric case-feeder to a progressive press, THEN auto-indexing is worth considering.

True, I did add some extras to the Dillon. Part of the idea was to show that if you true quick change capability, that's where it adds up fast with the Dillon. Even if you drop the powder measure on each tool head (3 x $80), the .45 conversion ($45), and the Strong Mount ($45), you're still over a grand on the Dillon.

Again, I'm not saying don't get the Dillon. Just illustrating the cost difference. I have the 550, and Lee Turret. I don't want to get rid of either. The Turret is nice for calibers or loads I'm only going to run less than a hundred at a time. Much faster to change calibers, and cost effective to keep a complete tool head for each. The Dillon I only have set up for 3 calibers, and I do have it setup with a meter on each.

200rph is pushing the Lee. I can do that with 9mm. And yes, that was with a 3 hole press, running a 3 die set. I'd say 125-150 is probably average, and average on the Dillon is probably 325-350. I usually pull out the 200rph number when people start claiming 500 or more with the Dillon 550.

It still comes down to how much the OP is going to be loading. Small batches once or twice a month would be hard to justify the Dillon, in my mind. Large batches often would surely drive one mad using the Lee.

Hi,

Another option is this:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader

It is cheaper to begin with and can be fully upgraded to a 550 if you want to spend the money later.

Good luck,

Alan

Didn't know they sold that.

That could certainly be an option. Buy that, extra tool heads, then put Lee Carbide dies in it.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an RCBS Pro 2000. I like it and caliber changes are simple with the die plates. I load 9 mm, .40 cal, .45 ACP, and .223 Rem in relatively high volume. Each set of dies have thier own shell plate. To switch calibers you just swap-out the die plate, swap the shell holder, and adjust the powder throw (obviously you change powder) and you're reloading a different caliber. With the .223, I use an RCBS X-Die which eliminates the need to trim the brass between reloads (up to 10x that I tested). The press is progressive and loads plenty of volume for me.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, I did add some extras to the Dillon. Part of the idea was to show that if you true quick change capability, that's where it adds up fast with the Dillon. Even if you drop the powder measure on each tool head (3 x $80), the .45 conversion ($45), and the Strong Mount ($45), you're still over a grand on the Dillon.

Again, I'm not saying don't get the Dillon. Just illustrating the cost difference. I have the 550, and Lee Turret. I don't want to get rid of either. The Turret is nice for calibers or loads I'm only going to run less than a hundred at a time. Much faster to change calibers, and cost effective to keep a complete tool head for each. The Dillon I only have set up for 3 calibers, and I do have it setup with a meter on each.

200rph is pushing the Lee. I can do that with 9mm. And yes, that was with a 3 hole press, running a 3 die set. I'd say 125-150 is probably average, and average on the Dillon is probably 325-350. I usually pull out the 200rph number when people start claiming 500 or more with the Dillon 550.

It still comes down to how much the OP is going to be loading. Small batches once or twice a month would be hard to justify the Dillon, in my mind. Large batches often would surely drive one mad using the Lee.

Didn't know they sold that.

That could certainly be an option. Buy that, extra tool heads, then put Lee Carbide dies in it.

I agree with your thoughts and am glad you did not take my response personally. We've met in the past, you know I'm not like that. My goal is to help people, especially those just starting in the firearms and/or reloading world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom