What presses you guys use??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is any way you can swing it, get the Dillon 650 with the upgrades shown above. 550 is awesome too.

I sold my Horandy LNL which was a newer model with EZ Ject and am just tickled pink with my 650. I do miss some of the features of the LNL but not the brass raining down on my head from their crappy and very overpriced case feeder. I would have felt guilty even selling that piece but I sold it to a guy that needed it for his second press and knew exactly what he was getting. If you get a LNL do not get the case feeder unless you just get a steal of a deal and have lots of patience. For low volume loading the Redding T7 turret is the bomb. I can keep two rifle calibers set up and still have a gRX die ready to go for my .40.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with your thoughts and am glad you did not take my response personally. We've met in the past, you know I'm not like that. My goal is to help people, especially those just starting in the firearms and/or reloading world.

:thumbup3: Yup, we're all good. In the gun community, an educated buyer is a happy buyer. And that's what we want.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... Lots of good info here on the different presses. At the moment I am not as big of volume shooter lately as i was (not having a place to shoot will do that to ya). But working on places to shoot right now. The lee would likely work for me but I have became a believer in the phrase buy once cry once ive heard on this forum. the plain jane dillon looks good because would increase my volume over the RC and pacific and also still allow me to expand more. Its reasonably priced and I already have all my dies (would buy a double set for .223 and 30-06, 6 rifles in those two calibers here, for small runs of hunting ammo on the other presses). I like the idea of using lee powder throwers to keep cost down also.

Keep the opinions coming! good input here from everyone!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend carbide dies, for the pistol and .223 at least. Also, if you do go with a Lee meter, get the pro auto disk. One of my biggest complaints with the Lee Auto Disk is the hopper system. If you subscribe to the buy once, cry once theory, you might consider getting the Hornady meter, it allows you to change the meter plug without losing your settings, so you could just buy extra plugs (~$10) and then keep them set up for different loads, and verify charge when starting back up.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Dillon RL550 and a Rockchucker. Me too.

I just have one Dillon powder measure and change it as needed. A question in this thread made me think about that a little. I am sure you could have a powder measure bar for each load and never have to adjust them. Simply change out the bar every time and it should be set. I will have to check out the cost for doing that. It may not be practical.

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this is soooo much to absorb. Me and a couple buddies that all shoot .40 are looking to split a press and share the fun and ammo. We are currently looking at the Lee Pro 1000 progressive as it is on sale at Midway thru the end of the month or possibly the Load-master. I used to reload years ago with a couple friends on a Rock Chucker single, for safety and accuracy sake and to make sure theory was followed. Meaning learning the correct way over sake of speed. I remember spending hours of fun and coffee loading 38/357/30.06 and 45.

Dillons sound really awesome but it also appears you have to buy a press and every little individual thing that you need additionally is extra. Where as the 1000 looks to come with everything to start up? I mean really whats the best start up deal on $300 bucks?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are just going to load .40 sw ammo that Lee 1000 will be good enough. I have a friend that has three of them and he leaves them set up for one pistol cartridge and never changes them. He likes them. He bought a Hornady LNL progressive too and he says that it has gave him more trouble than the Lee presses. He wanted a Dillon 650 but got the LNL instead. The Dillon's have a lot of extra things that you can buy. You don't need all of them even if they would be nice. You can always find something else that you want to get no matter what press you have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom