What rifle calibers would you trash if you owned an ammo manufacturing company

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the ammo shortage and trying to recover from the plandemic, which calibers would you concentrate on, and which would you scrap, at least temporarily, to recover and maintain a reasonable flow of inventory with the goal being fully stocked shelves and good weekly turnover?

Of course the standard calibers for the AR and AK platforms would be no brainers especially with the country being hurled off a cliff under demonratic rule.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223, .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7.62x39, .243, 30-06, 30-30, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag and the 270 would need to get to the stores.
Keep the hunters in the game. And .22 LR I may slow down the .17 and 30-06 and .270
Most people that shoot those do not shoot them very often.

The first 4 seem to be pretty popular.

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I owned the company, AND I wasn't in it for the money, I'd purposely shelve the over popular, under performers. LOL

"guide" people into the better calibers. I do find it incredibly interesting throughout firearm history how a better cartridge never caught on, where others have taken off with no apparent benefit. Sometimes it is coincidence based on what else came out at the same time. Sometimes it is largely due to the gun/platform that shoots it (only reason I can think of .223 being popular is AR platform). Other times, it is a minor stumble out of the gate and never recovers. Like a .243 Win being more popular than the 6mm/244 Rem. The 6mm was initially loaded with incorrect bullet weight for twist rate and it got a bad rep. By the time they corrected that, the .243 Win had found a foothold. As I have mentioned a few places here, I am a big 10mm auto fan. Even though it finally is getting the respect it deserved since it came out, there really shouldn't be much of a 9mm, 40, and .45 debate with it in the picture.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the ammo shortage and trying to recover from the plandemic, which calibers would you concentrate on, and which would you scrap, at least temporarily, to recover and maintain a reasonable flow of inventory with the goal being fully stocked shelves and good weekly turnover?

Of course the standard calibers for the AR and AK platforms would be no brainers especially with the country being hurled off a cliff under demonratic rule.
Like others mentioned I would keep most of the NATO type ammunition rolling so 22lr, 556/223, 762x51/308, 9mm and high brass 12ga. I would specialize in a few popular hunting rounds 30/30,243,270. I think those would be the highest in demand. The other stuff I would pretty much cut out or make in small quantities until everything is back to normal. It’s funny that you ask this. If I was to hit it rich I would definitely open up a munitions factory here in Oklahoma. One so that there would be plenty for everybody to buy and also so that I’ve never run out. I think my factory would be based or styled off of Black Hills ammunition. Quality over quantity.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would can the 6mmCM, 22CM, and 25 Creedmoor, 6mmGT, 6.5 Grendel, 224 Valkyrie, 7wsm, 7STW, 7mm UM, 300UM, 6.5 & 300 PRC, 26 and 28 Nosler, and 6.8 Western......There, I think I pissed everyone off.
Yeah probably. Cept I've never heard of some of those. :blush::coffee2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were running a ammo manufacturing business I would likely cut rimfire out, sadly. The markup/profit margin is too low, and the majority of the process of building said ammo in bulk is a whole new set of equipment, processes, and employee training as opposed to building center fire ammunition. One area I would focus on is Soviet/surplus ammo. Tons of people shoot it, but surplus is drying up slowly. It can also be hard to consistently get a hold of quality hunting or match ammo for many surplus platforms unless you handload. I don’t see the point in trying to compete with the big dogs on standard nato stuff if I’m just trying to make range fodder, there’s just no way to do so in a low risk, high profit manner without sacrificing quality.

I would also try and streamline and build a line of law enforcement ammunition, for example, a TMJ practice round that matches the TJHP carry round, much like what Speer does. I would make them in individual boxes, as well as “bulk train and shoot” packs to market to LEO organizations. Think 500rds TMJ to practice with, and 100rds TJHP to load up on the Batman belt and in the duty pistol. The line would likely be 9mm and .40 only, as that should cover 90% of law enforcement duty handguns.

Kind of a side note, we do have an ammunition manufacturer starting up in Oklahoma. Choctaw Defense. Looks like the Choctaw Nation was going so well contracting that they started making ammo for people and contract. Which is genius, because they’re guaranteed to get a certain percentage of business or contracts from the feds.

https://www.choctawdefense.com/choctaw-ammunition/

Latest posts

Top Bottom