What rifle calibers would you trash if you owned an ammo manufacturing company

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were running a ammo manufacturing business I would likely cut rimfire out, sadly. The markup/profit margin is too low, and the majority of the process of building said ammo in bulk is a whole new set of equipment, processes, and employee training as opposed to building center fire ammunition. One area I would focus on is Soviet/surplus ammo. Tons of people shoot it, but surplus is drying up slowly. It can also be hard to consistently get a hold of quality hunting or match ammo for many surplus platforms unless you handload. I don’t see the point in trying to compete with the big dogs on standard nato stuff if I’m just trying to make range fodder, there’s just no way to do so in a low risk, high profit manner without sacrificing quality.

I would also try and streamline and build a line of law enforcement ammunition, for example, a TMJ practice round that matches the TJHP carry round, much like what Speer does. I would make them in individual boxes, as well as “bulk train and shoot” packs to market to LEO organizations. Think 500rds TMJ to practice with, and 100rds TJHP to load up on the Batman belt and in the duty pistol. The line would likely be 9mm and .40 only, as that should cover 90% of law enforcement duty handguns.

Kind of a side note, we do have an ammunition manufacturer starting up in Oklahoma. Choctaw Defense. Looks like the Choctaw Nation was going so well contracting that they started making ammo for people and contract. Which is genius, because they’re guaranteed to get a certain percentage of business or contracts from the feds.

https://www.choctawdefense.com/choctaw-ammunition/
That’s pretty interesting. Had no idea and that’s the first I’ve heard of it.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a tough question for me, as I’m sure it would be for many. On one hand, say I’m the CEO of an ammo/components manufacturing outfit, but not a gun enthusiast, I’d look at the sales for the last 2 years, then choose what to concentrate on from there. On the other hand, say I hold the same position, but I’m also a gun enthusiast. I’d not only have a good idea of what calibers sell better, but I’d also have my personal preferences that may get in the way. Example, I like the big calibers, except for 223, so I’d probably lean more towards 30 cal and up, and the 23 to 29 cal ranges would be lost to me, except for ones I know would do well.
But, dreaming aside, as I sit here at first thought to the OP, I know it’s been said, but I’d go through and take out the non-common (exotic) calibers, and keep 223, 30-30, 30-06, 6.5, 270, 7mm, 308, and the like.

Great question and thread!

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were running a ammo manufacturing business I would likely cut rimfire out, sadly. The markup/profit margin is too low, and the majority of the process of building said ammo in bulk is a whole new set of equipment, processes, and employee training as opposed to building center fire ammunition. One area I would focus on is Soviet/surplus ammo. Tons of people shoot it, but surplus is drying up slowly. It can also be hard to consistently get a hold of quality hunting or match ammo for many surplus platforms unless you handload. I don’t see the point in trying to compete with the big dogs on standard nato stuff if I’m just trying to make range fodder, there’s just no way to do so in a low risk, high profit manner without sacrificing quality.

I would also try and streamline and build a line of law enforcement ammunition, for example, a TMJ practice round that matches the TJHP carry round, much like what Speer does. I would make them in individual boxes, as well as “bulk train and shoot” packs to market to LEO organizations. Think 500rds TMJ to practice with, and 100rds TJHP to load up on the Batman belt and in the duty pistol. The line would likely be 9mm and .40 only, as that should cover 90% of law enforcement duty handguns.

Kind of a side note, we do have an ammunition manufacturer starting up in Oklahoma. Choctaw Defense. Looks like the Choctaw Nation was going so well contracting that they started making ammo for people and contract. Which is genius, because they’re guaranteed to get a certain percentage of business or contracts from the feds.

https://www.choctawdefense.com/choctaw-ammunition/

I guess they don't do ammo anymore
Screenshot_2021-06-22-19-36-39.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom