What shortages are you noticing, seeing or expecting to see.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found out today there is a shortage of small engines.

Anything powered by a small engine, lawn mowers, push, riders and zero turns, pressure washers, string trimmers, tillers, expect shortages of.

Pool chemicals and paint are soon to follow.

Lumber prices continue to climb.

Already seeing shortages on insulation.

Expect to see shortages of HVAC parts this summer as well.

Going to get ugly if we dont get people back on the job.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is the worst of them all. Chicken strips at Whataburger. I haven't been able to enjoy my Honey Butter Chicken Biscut lately.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope no one is waiting on some Japanese auto parts. Coincidental with the other shortages?!?

Ship carrying auto parts sinks off Japan coast
3 crew members missing after MV Byakko collision with chemical tanker
Kim Link-Wills, Senior EditorFriday, May 28, 2021
A search is ongoing for three crew members reported missing from a roll-on/roll-off (ro/ro) vessel that sank off the coast of Japan early Friday morning.

The MV Byakko sank at about 2:40 a.m. local time after colliding with the chemical tanker Ulsan Pioneer just before midnight in the Seto Inland Sea, Reuters reported. The Byakko reportedly sank about 2.5 miles off the coast of Imabari.

Nine of the Byakko’s 12 crew members were said to have been rescued by the Japanese coast guard and nearby ships.

Kyodo News reported that the ship’s captain, 66-year-old Tamotsu Sato, was among the missing. Responders also are searching for two of the Byakko’s engineers, Japanese men in their 20s.

The 557-foot-long Byakko is operated by Kobe, Japan-based Prince Kaiun Co. According to Kyodo News, the Byakko was carrying auto parts and left Kobe at 4:30 p.m. Thursday bound for Kanda, Japan. The Ulsan Pioneer reportedly departed a port in China on Tuesday and was scheduled to arrive in Osaka, Japan, on Friday afternoon.

There was no word on what types of auto parts the Byakko was carrying. Denso is the largest automotive parts manufacturer in Japan and specializes in electronic systems and powertrain control modules, according to Japan Industry News, which lists the other major suppliers in the country as Aisin Seiki, Yazaki, JTEKT and Hitachi Automotive Systems.

Sebastian Blanco, who follows the automotive industry for FreightWaves, said Toyota has a plant in Kanda and Nissan has one in the region.

On its website, Prince Kaiun lists its primary clients as Nissan Motor Co., Mitsubishi Logistics, Vantec Corp., Sea Link, Tatsumi Shokai, Zero Co. and Koshin Shoun.

The website says the 11,454-ton Byakko was built just last year and that it can carry “809 commercial vehicles, 113 trailer chassis.” Byakko is the Japanese word for white tiger.

The Ulsan Pioneer, which flies under the flag of the Marshall Islands, was built in 2016.

A cause of the collision has not been reported. According to FreightWaves meteorologist Nick Austin, there were no indications of unusual weather at the time of the accident.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chicken wings & beef.

When I was in the Phoenix switch back in mid 2000s we would consistently get calls about cell sites being vandalized for the copper wire and air conditioner coils. Last week we got the first two calls since I've been back in KC (almost a decade) that a cell site was looted for cooper.

It was also the first time multiple vehicles in our lots have been hit for their catalytic converters. Independence PD said a few months ago it was up to 131 when it was 9 the previous year. I'm sure that number has skyrocketed now.

What's up with all the theft in the last few months? The free money was, and currently still is, flowing. Better to thieve than work one of the thousands of unfilled jobs around?

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Shortages on foreign manufactured heavy equipment parts as well as some domestic heavy equipment parts....a bulldozer, trackhoe or tractor is useless if its broke down and repair parts are not available.
One of my Caterpillar dealers just advised about the computer chip shortage causing ECM and new machine delays. My genset dozers have 7 ECMs on them.
I've been experiencing heavy equipment part shortages for about 4 years now compounded by the lack of qualified technicians.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chicken wings & beef.

When I was in the Phoenix switch back in mid 2000s we would consistently get calls about cell sites being vandalized for the copper wire and air conditioner coils. Last week we got the first two calls since I've been back in KC (almost a decade) that a cell site was looted for cooper.

It was also the first time multiple vehicles in our lots have been hit for their catalytic converters. Independence PD said a few months ago it was up to 131 when it was 9 the previous year. I'm sure that number has skyrocketed now.

What's up with all the theft in the last few months? The free money was, and currently still is, flowing. Better to thieve than work one of the thousands of unfilled jobs around?
Copper and steel scrap is going through the moon. People don't have to work anymore and are looking for "overtime" money.
When working at OG&E we got fed video's and pics of people entering switch yards and trying to cut the copper ground wires for scrap.
Final pic, the smoke was coming out of their charred ars holes.
People don't understand the purpose of ground wiring.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ready for a meat shortage, or at least those of you who still buy meat at the store. Prices are going to go up more than just driven by inflation. These cyber attacks are going to disrupt the supply chain in a big way. Be prepared as much as you can at this point!
I think the media is downplaying the impact of what will result from this and the other cyber attacks.

Interesting perception of the big picture going on with the supply chain.

JBS USA cyber attack affecting North American and Australian systems

Food processing company said there's nothing to suggest that customer or supplier data has been compromised. New Zealand's Waikato District Health Board, meanwhile, is approaching its third week of disruption following a ransomware attack.

United States-based food processing company JBS USA has confirmed falling victim to a cyber attack, with the aftermath affecting its North American and Australian systems.

"On Sunday, May 30, JBS USA determined that it was the target of an organised cybersecurity attack, affecting some of the servers supporting its North American and Australian IT systems," it said in a statement.

"The company took immediate action, suspending all affected systems, notifying authorities, and activating the company's global network of IT professionals and third-party experts to resolve the situation."

JBS said its backup servers were not affected, and that it was actively working with an incident response firm to restore its systems "as soon as possible".

It also said it is currently not aware of any evidence to suggest customer, supplier, or employee data has been compromised or misused as a result of the attack.

"Resolution of the incident will take time, which may delay certain transactions with customers and suppliers," it added.

Need to disclose a breach? Read this: Notifiable Data Breaches scheme: Getting ready to disclose a data breach in Australia

Over in New Zealand, Waikato District Health Board (DHB) has issued an update to the ransomware attack it suffered two weeks ago.

Waikato DHB on May 18 experienced a full outage of its information services. On Monday, the organisation said progress was being made to restore its IT systems and that the focus was to move towards a recovery phase to "progressively stand up services".

It said clinical services across all departments and hospitals ran relatively smoothly over the weekend, but reiterated that emergency departments at all the DHB hospitals in Waikato, Tokoroa, Te Kuiti, Taumarunui, and Thames should be kept for emergencies only.

Work on IT systems, Waikato DHB said, is continuing in "priority areas for restoration" across radiation therapy, lab systems, radiology for imaging, result viewer, and IPM, which is the organisation's patient management system.

"There is a recovery process needed before these are functioning services," it said.

"We continue to work with legal experts and the Privacy Commissioner as the investigation is ongoing. A number of individuals were identified last week and the majority have now been contacted."

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I expect to still see a shortage of common sense and human decency from all political parties and their fan clubs. I expect it to get worse. I expect to see hypocrisy increase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom