What should my next .357mag Smith and Wesson be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda like when I go out metal detecting. THey call it treas

Because they were perfectly fine and worked great before the lawyers got involved. It is an answer to a question that was not asked and it was an imposition on the rights of gun purchasers as well as additional manufacturing so more cost. That's why
I know right. I bought a car a few years back and it had a seat belt. What the crap? Cars worked fine before them! It imposed upon my right as a car buyer and added cost to the purchase!

I mean, in reality, it still doesn't affect me much. It's always sounded more like a principle grump rather than anything functional to me. Again, makes zero difference on anything I have. Pull trigger = bang.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first year with my PD, 1978-1979, we were required to purchase and carry a wheel gun. Most carried a Model 66 for duty and a Model 60 for OD, which I did. I have owned both Smith and Colt and preferred shooting the Smiths. Surprisingly I found I could rely on a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special later on when working plain clothes. N frames are much more comfortable to shoot with magnum loads and I have never fired a L frame. Also, Zipty6 is quite correct about the forcing cone issues on K frames. That has been around for as long as I can recall. Regarding the so called Hillary Hole, to me itis nothing more than cosmetic. I have owned several revolvers that have one and frankly do not see a difference other than looking at the darn thing. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it.

tempImageTib7L9.png

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One can't go wrong with a wheel gun. Only had one that didn't work right ... it was a SW 629 DX. Had to send it back a couple times to SW because the cylinder was locking up. Possibly the most accurate handgun (test target had five shots in a quarter size group) I ever shot BUT I had no confidence in it. After the last time I got it back, I sold it.

From my experience ... stay away from any SW that puts that clear coat finish over their stainless frames. I have a SW 637 from their Performance Center and after four years, it's starting to peel and it is not covered by their warranty. While it's a great little gun ... sucks to have to refinish it after a few years.

One of the SW's I wish I had back was a SW 27 with the 8 3/8" barrel. My boss at the time saw it and had to have it. Company fired him a couple of months later. Should have tried to wait him out.

One of my all time favorites is a 4" SW M629 (no dash) that my late brother gave me when I graduated college the first time. It was tuned and ported by the late great, Larry Kelly and it is amazing.

BRCC SW629 12.25.17.JPG

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Somewhere out there is a 4 inch 66 with my SSN engraved on the slide plate and a super slick action. Sold it to a pawn shop in Edmond in the mid 80’s. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I’d also like to have back a nice 3 inch round butt 66 I sold on here a couple of years ago. I’ve had a bunch of k frames over the years and also a nice Model 63 22 LR. The only AD I’ve ever had was with a k frame I grabbed out of a tackle box and dumped 5 rounds out of before dry firing at a wooden floor. Those CCI shotshells make nice patterns.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know right. I bought a car a few years back and it had a seat belt. What the crap? Cars worked fine before them! It imposed upon my right as a car buyer and added cost to the purchase!

I mean, in reality, it still doesn't affect me much. It's always sounded more like a principle grump rather than anything functional to me. Again, makes zero difference on anything I have. Pull trigger = bang.
Pull trigger = bang.... you hope.

What if the mechanism gets worn and the tumbler turns just enough to block the trigger? Or you lock it, then need it unexpectedly and the key isn't handy? Or you lose the key? Or....?

Problems with the lock may not be very likely, but those problems absent the lock aren't possible. It's just something that could go wrong on an item that you want to work every single time. And it doesn't really accomplish anything that couldn't have been accomplished with a $10 accessory like every other gun manufacturer used.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pull trigger = bang.... you hope.

What if the mechanism gets worn and the tumbler turns just enough to block the trigger? Or you lock it, then need it unexpectedly and the key isn't handy? Or you lose the key? Or....?

Problems with the lock may not be very likely, but those problems absent the lock aren't possible. It's just something that could go wrong on an item that you want to work every single time. And it doesn't really accomplish anything that couldn't have been accomplished with a $10 accessory like every other gun manufacturer used.
As compared to the myriad of other firearms with the various issues I've had from them over the years I don't think that scenario is more likely than any of them. Especially since I don't lock it to start with, half the point is lost already. It gets taken to the range for giggles and to me, it will never be the first choice in SD --- I've got much better options there than carrying that giant around anywhere. To each their own, but I've never had a failure with mine.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As compared to the myriad of other firearms with the various issues I've had from them over the years I don't think that scenario is more likely than any of them. Especially since I don't lock it to start with, half the point is lost already. It gets taken to the range for giggles and to me, it will never be the first choice in SD --- I've got much better options there than carrying that giant around anywhere. To each their own, but I've never had a failure with mine.
There is inherent potential for failure in any mechanical device. That is unavoidable. This is just an added point of potential failure, no matter how small, that doesn't accomplish anything that again, couldn't have been accomplished with a $10 accessory without changing the design of the firearm.

You asked why people object to them, I think that's why.

Latest posts

Top Bottom