What should my next .357mag Smith and Wesson be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago I owned two 6" Colt Pythons, one was blue that I shot occasionally and the other was nickel plated that I kept as a unfired safe queen......sold both for pretty good $$$.

Anyway, I also had a older no lock S & W 6" model 686 (also gone) about the same time that when rested on bags would consistently out shoot the blued 6" Python.......if another used pre-lock 6" 686 became available for a decent price I'd find it pretty difficult to not purchase it.
Pythons are a hot commodity due to Rick Grimes carrying one on The Walking Dead, but from what I’ve heard from diehard revolver guys, the Smith 686 is a much better gun than the Python. This is yet more proof of the influence Hollyweird has on the American public.:anyone:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DAVE-500 FLASH.jpg
The Smith is hands down better than the Colt. "jus sayin'....

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pythons are a hot commodity due to Rick Grimes carrying one on The Walking Dead, but from what I’ve heard from diehard revolver guys, the Smith 686 is a much better gun than the Python. This is yet more proof of the influence Hollyweird has on the American public.:anyone:

Python's were hot pre Rick Grimes, still hot post Rick Grimes.

I have a 686 and a 686 competitor. I still want a Python (new and old model), they are just sexy and I'm not a revolver guy.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 4" L frame 686 (stainless) or 586 (blued) is probably the best balance of size and durability.

The most enjoyable Smith & Wesson 357s to shoot are the N frames. They were the original 357, after all. A nice Model 28 runs just as well as a 27 and shouldn't cost nearly as much.

Model 586:
586b7SM.jpg

Model 28-2
28-2d7SM.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already daily carry a 642.

Recently got a 66-1 from @Sted-E Ed-E and now I’m very hooked on Smith and Wesson revolvers. Haven’t even shot this thing yet but know I want more.

I’ve been looking at the 66 combat magnum and it looks very inviting.

of course I want to add a Model 29 to the herd (who doesn’t) but my oh my are those things expensive and For the time being I’d probably rather stick to 357mag and .38special for now..

You may already be aware, but...
Avoid shooting 125gr or lighter magnums out of that 66-1.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned basically every revolver smith has ever made and still have a majority of them. My favorite is the 686, I have a national match one and I shoot I all the time.

I am a pre-lock guy, but I will say if you are just looking for fun some of the new performance center guns are great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom