What snacks are you planning for the snowpocalypse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has the Walmart rush started yet?
anigif_enhanced-buzz-32353-1365697336-11.gif

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a box of wine and some mulling spice... I keep saying I'm going to do it, but The Wife says she doesn't like mulled wine, so I always end up not. Maybe tonight I'll make a fire and mull some wine when the snowmaggeddon starts.

Absolute best stuff after being out shoveling the drive.

Recipe: German Glühwein
  • 1/2 medium orange
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup turbinado or granulated sugar
  • 20 whole cloves
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 whole star anise
  • 1 (750-milliliter) bottle dry red wine
  • Rum or amaretto, for serving (optional)
Warm, Don’t Boil
Mulling wine is not exactly rocket science, but there are a few tips to keep in mind. The first and most important rule? Do not let the wine boil or you will boil off the alcohol! I tend to let it heat gently for about 20 minutes before my guests arrive. It’s also not worth spending a ton of money on the wine here. Any dry red wine, from Chianti to Cabernet Sauvignon, will work. The recipe scales very easily for a smaller post-dinner cuddle-up or a holiday crowd. And then there’s the optional Schuss, or shot of hard liquor (usually rum or amaretto). I tend to order and make my Glühwein without it — especially if it’s the first of several glasses — but it does keep you warmer!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been so warm here (Marshall county), they're not expecting it to stick on the roadways at all, and not to last past mid-afternoon on the grass.

Talkin' about snow btw, not mulled wine...
:drunk2:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a box of wine and some mulling spice... I keep saying I'm going to do it, but The Wife says she doesn't like mulled wine, so I always end up not. Maybe tonight I'll make a fire and mull some wine when the snowmaggeddon starts.

I make a couple bottles at a time and what I do not drink I put back in the bottles and let it cool then put it in the fridge and microzap and drink at a later date!! If my son is drinking with me ain't much left if any lol. the spiced meade I make a bottle at a time and it is always gone................ My son drinks too much..... ya thats it , dat boy is a lush!:drunk5:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Smoking Bishop mulled wine

4 oranges studded with 5ish cloves bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
set oranges aside
750ml Cabernet Sauvignon wine( any Bordeaux)
750ml Merlot wine( any ruby port)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon all spice
All the spices are too taste feel free to add more!!!
1/2 cup brown sugar
add all spices and wine and sugar to pan and bring to simmer stir well ( do not boil)
add juice from baked oranges to pan.
Large party punch bowl garnish with thick cut oranges studded with cloves or re bottle and cork once cooled refrigerate and reheat when you want a glass!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom