What to do with a couple newer chest freezers that need repair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One about 5-6yrs old, the other about 2. One cools but won't freeze and the other has power but won't cool at all. I was thinking of seeing how much to repair the smaller of the two and keep it as a spare (I got a new upright recently). But I wanted to ask what you all would do. Maybe someone on this board buys and sells used appliances or something and would be interested in buying them for a fair price parts or repair?

Anyway, I didn't want to post them since they are not in full working order and I figured there would be some creative ideas on how to get rid of them (or fix). I do have a working washing machine though that is from the 2000's if anyone interested (traditional kind with the agitator and not the new woke kind).

Thx fellas
find a nice ravine, blow big holes in them with guns

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tannerite
NO!!!
You wouldn’t believe how much insulation is in those walls to clean up on a 103* day with no wind.
Don’t ask me how I know……

my suggestion if you fish is to make a worm bed, or a minnow tank.
If you throw big parties, get barn wood to sheath it making a big ice chest. I’ve actually seen this. Very nice.
Make it a into a mulch bed. Use a pitchfork to stir the contents around.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A dead freezer also works great in the garage for paint storage. The insulation in it will keep the paint from freezing in the winter. Just drill a hole and hang a drop light in it. A 60w incandescent bulb will keep it above freezing.

HonkyCat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One about 5-6yrs old, the other about 2. One cools but won't freeze and the other has power but won't cool at all. I was thinking of seeing how much to repair the smaller of the two and keep it as a spare (I got a new upright recently). But I wanted to ask what you all would do. Maybe someone on this board buys and sells used appliances or something and would be interested in buying them for a fair price parts or repair?

Anyway, I didn't want to post them since they are not in full working order and I figured there would be some creative ideas on how to get rid of them (or fix). I do have a working washing machine though that is from the 2000's if anyone interested (traditional kind with the agitator and not the new woke kind).

Thx fellas
You can fix them real easy. One needs freon sounds like and the other probably needs compressor. Go to appliance parts store on 10th i believe and they can get what you need cheap. Probably under 75.00. Hire someone and expect $300 at least maybe more? Good Luck

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly I am not sure they even repair freezers anymore. Last time we tried was about a 5 year old and was told it was cheaper to buy a new one.
Me too. 5 or 6 year old Maytag upright 16 CF freezer died. Ridiculous!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put it upright and paint it hammered metal then stencil DIEBOLD on it.

You can get a used dial and handle from any locksmith for cheap.

Last edited:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Non-working chest freezers are the perfect storage bin for horse feed.
You can alos trap raccons in them as I found out. I left a small one open after feeding one night, the next morning the lid was closed and inside were 5 young and very dead raccoons. Apparently they got in there to finish off the feed at the bottom, the lid closed and for some reason they couldn't open it even though there was no latch. They were in a neat pile and looked like they just went to sleep and never woke up, no pee or sh*t in thereno sign they panicked.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bury one in the backyard to keep extra SHTF 'supplies'. Put down a blue tarp over it and stack firewood, etc. on the tarp.

:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom