What to do with spent primers??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot them out of a 12 guage
I had thought of that also. I have made and shot some wax slugs before. Don't know how much, if any, damage the primers would do to the shotgun barrel. They are not quite like lead going down the barrel, but then again people do shoot steel shot.l

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never dont that, but I have thought about it.
It probably would be a lighter load charge that lead or steel shot, but I bet the pattern would disperse quickly.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot them out of a 12 guage
Hmmm... since they're not round (ball-shaped), they may try to stack and wedge.

The only time I've been to a gunsmith (to get scope mounts on my Eddystone), he had a customer's shotgun in with a split barrel. I asked what happened, and he said it was caused by steel shot. I asked if it happened often, and he said more often than you'd think.
:drunk2:

EDIT: While that is the only time I've been to a gunsmith as an adult, I just remembered that I did take a single shot Stevens .22 to an old smith as a teenager (the extractor would slip off the case rim). He filed down the extractor to sharpen the hook. I still have the gun, and it still extracts just fine. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom