What tractor attachment for shaving off grass???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using a lawn tractor, I have an area I need to shave off some high spots to allow for better drainage. Would i be better off with a push rototiller to tear up the grass and then go back over with a box blade? Or do I need a tow-behind ripper to tear the grass and then box blade it or what?

I prob need to lower these "humps" in the yard by at least 4" or so to allow water to continue falling away from the house into the low spot that was graded for drainage. But I think the sprinkler installers ruin the final grade before the sod went down because I saw the final grade when the house was built and it wasn't so lumpy. But this grass is now 3yrs established and not going to come up easy without some sort of machine so I can get to the dirt and smooth it out and re-seed/sod or something.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, the tiller will bounce off of unbroken ground unless the ground is very soft. You know what I have for a tractor; I don't see a lawn tractor doing better. I'd pull the rippers through first, ideally in a couple of perpendicular passes (I do it the same way with a middle-buster/subsoiler to get deeper), before running the tiller through.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience, the tiller will bounce off of unbroken ground unless the ground is very soft. You know what I have for a tractor; I don't see a lawn tractor doing better. I'd pull the rippers through first, ideally in a couple of perpendicular passes (I do it the same way with a middle-buster/subsoiler to get deeper), before running the tiller through.
LOL, you must have some hard clay ground. My tiller in sandy loam turns it into dust basically.
Is it red dirt clay?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, you must have some hard clay ground. My tiller in sandy loam turns it into dust basically.
Is it red dirt clay?
It's...odd. There's some very sandy stuff, some more dense, but even the sandy stuff has dense roots from the turf. I'm about 1/3 mile from the South Canadian River if that helps. Soil pH is up near 8 (a bit over in some spots), and the water (found at ~50 feet) is very hard.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's...odd. There's some very sandy stuff, some more dense, but even the sandy stuff has dense roots from the turf. I'm about 1/3 mile from the South Canadian River if that helps. Soil pH is up near 8 (a bit over in some spots), and the water (found at ~50 feet) is very hard.
Mesonet.gov might give some further insight. Amazing site.
Farmlogs.com can give some soil identifications as well. They do it by generalizations I think according to what the counties provide on line.
They do match the actual soil type on mine though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Mesonet.gov might give some further insight. Amazing site.
Farmlogs.com can give some soil identifications as well. They do it by generalizations I think according to what the counties provide on line.
They do match the actual soil type on mine though.

The soil type is legit on Farmlogs. We picked up new place for hay ground, 4 soil types on 90 acres lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom