what was the name of the car dealership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Hopefully” I’m in the final stages of a battle with Reynolds Ford off NW Expressway. I think they take the crown at the moment for this places replacement.

Funny how fast things move when an attorney gets involved, I’m just glad I’m not the one paying paying the legal fees!

I will be absolutely delighted when these scammy local dealers get taken over by exclusively online companies or if it moves where you can buy straight from the manufacture. I know there are a lot of grey areas between manufactures and dealers, then banks and dealers where lots of money is made... but talk about a dinosaur system that needs renovating.
The car dealership industry is a major joke. I don't remember the name of the dealership but it was in the same time frame as the Lynn Hickey fiasco further north on May avenue. We pulled in to look at a vehicle and they wouldn't give us the keys to our vehicle back until we made a deposit on a new one.
I asked to borrow a phone (before cell phones) and told them I was going to call the OKC police department reporting a stolen car.
We did get our keys back. That has always rested in my mind so even today, we don't let any dealership inspect our vehicle without one of us being in possession of the keys.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^ Let's see if I can my memory to work. Further North up May Ave was Smicklas Chevrolet, 5301 N. May

Further North from that was Gandara Buick, and I want to say there was another one right by Gandara Buick, it may have been a Chrysler Plymouth Dodge place, can't recall for sure on that one. This was about NW 61st & May, where Braums and Barnes & Noble is now.

Further up North on May, at 9505 N May, was Jackie Cooper Lincoln, Mercy, BMW, Rolls Royce, Maserati Ferrari and Subaru.

Going South from Lynn Hickey to about NW 28th or so and May was the Volvo and Jaguar dealership, I think it was Fretwells.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^ Let's see if I can my memory to work. Further North up May Ave was Smicklas Chevrolet, 5301 N. May

Further North from that was Gandara Buick, and I want to say there was another one right by Gandara Buick. This was about NW 61st & May, where Braums and Barnes & Noble is now.

Further up North on May, at 9505 N May, was Jackie Cooper Lincoln, Mercy, BMW, Rolls Royce, Maserati Ferrari and Subaru.
YES! Smicklas is the correct answer. Thought I'd never forget that rip off place.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^ I worked for Smicklas when he first bought the dealership from Morris, late 1982 through 1985. I worked in the service department, was on commission only, and one month I made a lot of money. John Smicklas came out one day and asked, really yelled, at me asking me how I'd made the much money in one month. I told him I had worked my ass off and had a lot of customers who asked for me. John Smicklas, the hateful prick he was, loudly stated that no one in that job description was worth that kind of money! Of course he expected the car salesmen to make a lot of money on commission, that's how he made his money, but he was just a rude hateful shithead prick. I left there soon after and took my ink pen with me to a competitor.

I don't like to talk badly about people, but he was a jerk. He would tell us he was a German Jew from Chicago and that's the way he learned to do things, and it was his way or the highway. Never heard him say anything nice about anybody or anything in the service department.
Now I understand the mind set of our experience.
Interesting on how you mention you "made too much money" with your commision work.
I was a friend of a guy that worked for an electric motor repair business in OKC.
He took his sales/repair business personal even though he was just a sales guy. The manufacturing facility I worked for at the time would have a critical machine go down because of a motor failure on a weekend, with a phone call, he would personally come get the motor(we aren't talking a little 1 hp motor)take it back to the facility and have it back to us in a day or two.
We dumped every other motor repair service we had and went with them.
Million dollars a year or better account for just our business.
The owner approached him and complained about how much his commissions were. The dumb assed owner just couldn't understand how that one person turned his business from a couple of employees into a couple dozen employees and quadrupled his business income. Cut him back to 50K a year salary and he left. The business is back to a couple of employees now from what I have heard.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I understand the mind set of our experience.
Interesting on how you mention you "made too much money" with your commision work.
I was a friend of a guy that worked for an electric motor repair business in OKC.
He took his sales/repair business personal even though he was just a sales guy. The manufacturing facility I worked for at the time would have a critical machine go down because of a motor failure on a weekend, with a phone call, he would personally come get the motor(we aren't talking a little 1 hp motor)take it back to the facility and have it back to us in a day or two.
We dumped every other motor repair service we had and went with them.
Million dollars a year or better account for just our business.
The owner approached him and complained about how much his commissions were. The dumb assed owner just couldn't understand how that one person turned his business from a couple of employees into a couple dozen employees and quadrupled his business income. Cut him back to 50K a year salary and he left. The business is back to a couple of employees now from what I have heard.

I think I know the company. I had some motors rebuilt there over the years if the same company. Got big for awhile and we had a hard time getting our motors done.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This occurred some years ago when we were considering a motorhome for our RV and wanted a "toad" to pull behind it, so the dealership may have improved since then. The dealership was/is Westpointe Chrysler Jeep Dodge.

We were looking at a Jeep product (Patriot or Liberty - not sure of either), and when we were ready to go, they "couldn't find the keys to our vehicle." I gently informed them that they better find the keys really quick of I would call the police.

Had the keys in my hand within a few minutes.

Hopefully, they have improved.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are the reasons I don't go to dealerships. One time in my life have I bought from a car lot, although I've shopped 'em a few times. I NEVER tell them what I do and I don't put up with their bullspit, either. They start that chummy chummy crap or talking down to me (I would go in wearing plain old clothes, shorts and T-shirt), I just leave. It's not worth my time or BP to argue or fight.

I'm sure I'll do it again at some point some day, but I sure don't look forward to the experience.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be different than what others have posted. My last visit to a dealership to look around was pleasant. I was not pressured, I was not asked for my keys, and was treated like a real human. The place is worth the drive in my opinion. It is Doug Gray Chevy in Elk City, Oklahoma. They are not like other dealerships and do not charge a rip off fee otherwise known as a "doc fee."

Latest posts

Top Bottom