What would happen if China trade goes away?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just think about this for a while. What would happen to the U.S. if China decided to slow down the shipment of parts they alone manufacture?

Appliance parts, automotive parts, construction materials, electronic chips, electrical cables, electrical parts, tools, manufacturing machine parts, aircraft parts?

The list is endless.

Would the U.S. realize their dilemma and start to manufacture these again? Would they just sit back and wait thinking they might start back up again later?

Short term - very uncomfortable.

Long term - exactly what needs to happen.

We need manufacturing base here to thrive. We need to rely on U.S. products. We need to distance ourselves from "throwaway goods" (washers, TVs, mowers) and build stuff that lasts and can be repaired.

Americans as a whole are hooked on cheap and disposable goods. Of course American have become hooked on a lot of comfort that has turned us into a nation of sissies to be mocked by other nations.

As long as there are supposedly "pro-America" gun guys posting crap articles criticizing Nationalism, we haven't gone deep enough in the hole to start digging out.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short term - very uncomfortable.

Long term - exactly what needs to happen.

We need manufacturing base here to thrive. We need to rely on U.S. products. We need to distance ourselves from "throwaway goods" (washers, TVs, mowers) and build stuff that lasts and can be repaired.

Americans as a whole are hooked on cheap and disposable goods. Of course American have become hooked on a lot of comfort that has turned us into a nation of sissies to be mocked by other nations.

As long as there are supposedly "pro-America" gun guys posting crap articles criticizing Nationalism, we haven't gone deep enough in the hole to start digging out.
This sums up my thoughts, except for the last sentence.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So basically walmart wouldn't have anything to sell to those still shopping there.
Semi-related to this and another reason I'm inflicting pain on Amazon by shopping elsewhere, it's really annoying trying to find the origin country on anything on Amazon. I know why of course, but it's still annoying. I've doubled down on my effort to buy American when I can. Ands in a lot of segments it's pretty dang hard.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Semi-related to this and another reason I'm inflicting pain on Amazon by shopping elsewhere, it's really annoying trying to find the origin country on anything on Amazon. I know why of course, but it's still annoying. I've doubled down on my effort to buy American when I can. Ands in a lot of segments it's pretty dang hard.

It's almost like reading a news article that says "the assailant was wearing blue shorts and a maroon t-shirt and is described as 17-25 years old".

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think I am, some kind of amateur?
Baling wire won't work, Toyota is all metric.
Duct tape wears out in the sun, but the Titebond2 wood glue I used to hold a piece of my bumper together will last for years.
Baling wire isn't metric? All my life I've been told it was. Now i have to reprogram myself.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
outsourcing both jobs and inflation is how the US got in this mess.
all of these factors lead to a FIRE economy wherein you create value from $*@&ing over your fellow man instead of making something or providing a service for him.
last decade everyone knew the FIRE economy was bad and should be destroyed. then tarp happened and all that, then everyone just kinda got sleepy. i dunno, black people riots, something something.

classism got traded for racism. oddly, the very people who owned the slave ships pulled the same trick on us and we couldn't see thru it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom