What would you do? (Deer spot)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a spot to bow hunt. It's a small piece of land (10 acres) but covered in trees and brush and it's kind of a sanctuary for a few deer. I've been lightly hunting it for a couple of years now but have yet to put one down. I had a shot once but hit a small branch and missed. :smash:

I went out there with my son yesterday to do some scouting, put fresh batteries in the camera, grab the memory card and put together a game plan for this season.

I went back out this morning and spent about 10 minutes with the weedeater clearing out a parking area and the under growth where I enter the woods. Then I grabbed my axe, saw, etc... and headed in. About 30 yards from my camera and where I intend to brush up a natural ground blind I jumped 3 deer. I froze and they froze. One of them snorted a few times but then it was a stand-off. I hung out with'em like that for a few minutes then decided to ease back out of there and leave them alone. I figure it's not a problem and the good news is they are hanging out right where I want them!

I have a couple of questions:

1. I really only have one place to park but based on the tracks I saw this morning, they walked into the property on the same path I walked in. I know they also come from the other sides of the property but I'm not liking that I'm parking on one of their entry points. Do you figure that'll be a problem later?

2. I plan to clear out a few small trees and some brush to open shooting space then use the stuff I clear out to make a decent size blind. I've seen rubs in that area and there's a buck I've been watching come in there for the past 2-3 years. He only shows up during the rut and should be getting big enough to shoot this year. Should I leave the area alone and just make it work when the season opens or will they settle back in once I get it all setup?

I have two young boys and my buddy has a young son. We'd like a nice size blind so we can bring the boys in there with us so I really would like to make a comfortable little spot.

We've also got a ladder stand in there but it needs to be refurbished before it'll be safe to use. I was gonna drag it out today as well and get the parts to rebuild it in the next week or two. What I'm thinking at this point is I'm gonna forget about that and just stick to building the natural blind and stay out of there until the season gets here. Then, when the wind, weather, etc... is right try to go in and take one of'em.

I'm curious what you guys think about my plan or any other recommendations you might have?

Thanks!

PRMS0097.jpg

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunt the edges, set up your blind now so the deer can get used to it, stealth mode when approaching your stand. During October and December/January make it an evening spot as you know most likely they're bedded and coming to your feeder at last light, or earlier.....one of the benefits of having a feeder in heavy cover. Sounds like a great place to sit all day during the rut.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted an area like that in Norman for a few years.
I built a Man fort up high for a handicapped friend of mine.
Deer would walk right beside it no worries.
The area was also 10 acres ..I would drive my van down the path we cleared to drive in and out ,, deer would be standing staring at the van sometimes when I got there.

Once you freeze and stare they will spook.
I have had them walk right up to us when we are talking.. well 15 feet from us,, No worries.. they are curious.
But if you do a standoff with them they will spook.

I say make a blind up in a tree clear limbs so you can shoot clear of all branches.
Make sure your blind area is ultra quiet.
If the chair is a squeaky one fix that issue.

If you get spotted because you have moved or twitched the stare down will immediately start.

I have found if you chuck like a squirrel when you are seen the deer will no longer give a hoot and go about their eating or walking without spooking.

I have done it half a dozen times now. works every time.. If you are all hidden in camo that is ..
They really can't see you they just noticed movement.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go ahead and do all of your racket making for your blind now. The deer will be in there inspecting at night because they are curious. Never stare or make eye contact with the deer or they will spook. If it is feasible make an elevated blind to hunt from then do it. If you add additional trails into the feeder the deer will use them because it is easy for them, just like it is for you. Put a curve or 2 in the trails so they cant spot you from a distance. I would hunt it only in the evening.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
most of my deer in the 10 acre area in Norman Ok were killed in the morning and very few killed after 3PM
I make it a point not to enter the woods until it is light enough to see to take a good shot.
Yes most people want to be in the blind before sunup ...This method never worked for me. What I did was spook the bedded deer.
My success rate went way up after I learned to travel into the woods after the sun was up.

I know an old retired guy that does the same thing.. he sits in his truck and watches all the people enter the woods while he drinks his coffee.
Then about 8am he heads in.
And he usually is the first to get his deer.

But there are many ways to bag a curious whitetail.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I only had 10 acres and it is all woods I wouldn't go into for love or money. I would hunt the edges playing the wind

I picked this spot for that reason. I can park on the West side and walk a straight line (to the East) about 40 yards to the blind and be right where they like to hang out. I have found bedding areas all over including where I park but mostly along the South fence line.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most of my deer in the 10 acre area in Norman Ok were killed in the morning and very few killed after 3PM
I make it a point not to enter the woods until it is light enough to see to take a good shot.
Yes most people want to be in the blind before sunup ...This method never worked for me. What I did was spook the bedded deer.
My success rate went way up after I learned to travel into the woods after the sun was up.

I know an old retired guy that does the same thing.. he sits in his truck and watches all the people enter the woods while he drinks his coffee.
Then about 8am he heads in.
And he usually is the first to get his deer.

But there are many ways to bag a curious whitetail.

This kinda matches my experience out there. When I have gotten there in the dark I usually don't see much action. It seems like every time I go up there after 7-8 am I bump them up or see them in there. Yesterday it was about 9:30.

My camera pics are pretty random. Not really any set time they seem to show up.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a south wind, that set up doesn't look good to me.
Without knowing what surrounding properties look like, all i can say is, I want to be downwind of the deer as much as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom