What would you do? (Deer spot)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunt the northwest corner or the southwest corner and sit in each stand when you've got the appropriate wind if two stands are an option. If you want to hunt the west edge and just use one blind, go in just far enough to conceal your blind. I'd put blind, camera at same location............along with giant corn pile :) Park up or down the road from your approach as long as your not disturbing the neighbors hunting.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The South and East fence lines are about 20 feet higher than the rest of the property. It slopes pretty steeply down into the bottom. I added some detail to that pick.

The yellow line is about where the slope stops and it levels out. There is a large gravel pad (a few acres) up there and it looks like they built it up for that. It is some kind of natural gas facility.

The tan spots are where I see the most deer activity and the tan lines are paths I see leading in and through the area I've been focusing on.

There is no water but the blue line shows where the water flows in a heavy rain. It looks like a dry creek bed through there.

There is a clearing in the middle towards the North end and there is a path into it but I would need to do some significant work to be able to drive in there. I used to drive up the hill and park on the South fence line until I noiticed a few bedding spots up there. I figured the lowest impact method was to drop off the road and park there on the East side.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunt the northwest corner or the southwest corner and sit in each stand when you've got the appropriate wind if two stands are an option. If you want to hunt the west edge and just use one blind, go in just far enough to conceal your blind. I'd put blind, camera at same location............along with giant corn pile :) Park up or down the road from your approach as long as your not disturbing the neighbors hunting.

I have a ladder over that way but I'll need to rebuild it before I can use it. Not an issue though, I can deal with that. The reason I backed off of that corner was so I wouldn't have to walk all the way across the property to get there. I was afraid of leaving a scent trail and jumping deer along the way, noise, etc...???

My only parking options are where I am parking now, drive up the hill and park in the Southeast corner and walk the fence line (numerous bedding areas up there) or to clear out a path into that clearing on the North side.

Another thing to know is sometimes when there is a South wind the whole place smells like NG.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a ladder over that way but I'll need to rebuild it before I can use it. Not an issue though, I can deal with that. The reason I backed off of that corner was so I wouldn't have to walk all the way across the property to get there. I was afraid of leaving a scent trail and jumping deer along the way, noise, etc...???

My only parking options are where I am parking now, drive up the hill and park in the Southeast corner and walk the fence line (numerous bedding areas up there) or to clear out a path into that clearing on the North side.

Another thing to know is sometimes when there is a South wind the whole place smells like NG.

Natural Gas is odorless... maybe you are smelling the the vapors given off during the dehy process or you are smelling a petroleum based odor. Mercaptan is added to natural gas to give it its smell. Do you smell something that smells like rotten eggs?

Is the access road to the gas facility available to you? You could park adjacant to facility and walk around it when you have a north wind to approach your blind. The wind in your face is the best bet for minimize detection by the deer.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Natural Gas is odorless... maybe you are smelling the the vapors given off during the dehy process or you are smelling a petroleum based odor. Mercaptan is added to natural gas to give it its smell. Do you smell something that smells like rotten eggs?

Is the access road to the gas facility available to you? You could park adjacant to facility and walk around it when you have a north wind to approach your blind. The wind in your face is the best bet for minimize detection by the deer.

Right, it's the NG additive smell. I don't have access, it is usually locked up. and I wouldn't know who to talk too. Also that fence is pretty tall and there is no gate.

I'm curious why you guys think that corner is the best spot? My friend's dad (the property owner) and his BIL put that ladder stand there a few years ago. The BIL is a experienced hunter so he obviously thought so too, and I will ask him about it the next time I talk to him, but I'm wondering what the thinking is behind that???

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and I did sit in that stand a few times and watched the deer follow that tan line path a few times (out of shooting range) so that'e when I moved my focus to the other location.

Latest posts

Top Bottom