What would you do: Spikes receiver/Magpul/AERO Atlas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll check back later to see what you all think.

So, I’ve got this Spikes receiver-set/Magpul stock & buffer set up/AERO Atlas 15” handguard. I may or may not have a couple AR-15s and an AR-.308😉, depends on who is asking. So there is that. My choices:

a. trade parts for some powder & components.
b. Invest about as much as I have in parts in a new bolt & barrel… in which case the questions branch out.
1. 6.8 SPR
2. 300 Blackout
3. What other options are there?

Considerations:
Besides the UTG pistol grip, I’m not crazy about the Spikes fit. If I kept them I’d want to drill and tap the lower for a receiver tensioner screw just to eliminate the receiver rattle.
What it amounts to to me is an investment in small parts roughly equal to a further outlay for another AR in a different caliber when I already have plenty to shoot. Especially with components being what they are.

i’d be interested in your thoughts. John

Attachments

• 53253DE5-0DE9-4D8B-8E8C-86988010B8E8.jpeg
    53253DE5-0DE9-4D8B-8E8C-86988010B8E8.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 36

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My 5 cents for what it's worth if anything.

Answer some Qs: Do you need another rifle? Will you shoot it?
Y-build a rifle that will have some value
N-sell it or trade for reload stuff or a good optic

If you keep it, stick with a cartridge that sells and is relatively easy to acquire, reload, and shoot with common parts: 5.56 or 300BLK. People are always selling or trading their weirdo caliber guns because it costs too much or is too hard to acquire ammo for them.

Do you need to be spending money for nothing?
Y-go buy a gun that has value like a Seekins, LaRue, KAC, or JP
N-don't do any weirdness with drilling and tapping for a "problem" that has had a <$10 solution for 20 years already:

An accuwedge does the same thing as the "tensioner" without the cost.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...cu-wedges/ar-15-m16-accu-wedge-prod16662.aspx
Extra cheap solution for some folks here is an O-ring around the front pivot lug.

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First I would sale it all and go and buy a Sons of Liberty Gun Works rifle. The fit and finish is excellent and the customer service is top notch. I had a shipping issue and was talking about it on m4carbine.net and the owner saw my posts and sent me a message and gave me his personal cell phone. We talked and he was a really cool guy. I still have his number programmed into my phone. He got my order out immediately and threw in a free T-shirt. Their stuff is made for war. If I build another AR it will be from them.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been off with the grandson’s wrestling the last two days. Appreciate the feedback.

After reading I think you talked me down from a silly notion. I’ll move it rather than add another rifle. I don’t shoot what I have enough as it is.

I did buy an Accuwedge right after this post. Mostly because it put me over a $50 free shipping on a Lyman globe sight I needed which was just under the $50. Will be good to include when I sell the receivers.

Also I have to admit, The Sons of Liberty sounds pretty cool. I’ve been happy with AERO but recently found a manufacturer local to me while in Idaho. It was billet and the rollstamp has our local small town incorporated into it. Appeared to be good quality.

maybe this will inspire me to fix my gunbroker account. Have a couple rifles that should have been on there well over a year ago!

thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom