What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Try to find a job in the same field where you could use your knowledge without the physical part

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Train for a new field

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Park down by the river and put a 124 gr jhp through your brain pan

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say one day your physical ability declined to the point you couldn't continue in the same capacity at your employment. What would you do?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brother I been welding pipe for 30 years crawling around on concrete and gravel I’m looking to try and get in inspection because my knees hurt so bad when I get home I can’t hardly get out of the truck your third choice is definitely not the answer we were all young once but unfortunately we have to deal with not being in as good as shape as we used to be it’s just a part of life if I can’t get in inspection then I will pursue something else if you need to talk shoot me a pm I’ll be happy to talk

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I did after retiring from the military with disability was teach for 13 years. No travel, shorter hours, no physical standards, and a lot less pay.....but I did have the military retirement, and was more than qualified to teach.
I had several people who lost jobs come through WOSC on the state program, and some of them did very well in getting better jobs than before.
Forget option 3...illigitimi non carborundum, which is bad Latin meaning something like "don't let the bastards grind you down"

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Number 2 was the way I went due to being medically retired after 17 years in the service. The third option is a permanent move for a temporary problem, and is not a choice at all, so dont even entertain the thought.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little bit of a hard question, depending on the field you are in. Me, I am 70 and have been fortunate enough to retire. I still try to pass my knowledge and experience in several categories on to others, many much younger than me to add to what they know. Then the flip side is I am still interested and learning new things to help others with, unfortunately none of them seem to pay ha ha, but helping others is a reward.

Last option? Not a chance in hell, like the previous poster. I have worked too hard, been through too much in life to hand me over to anybody or anything that easy. Those bastards are going to have to come and drag me off, I am not going willingly on my own. I will go somewhere and put in some time doing something productive for someone somehow before I will let that become even a slight thought.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You forgot option #4: Go do something completely different for which you don't need to re-train. Maybe sales, like gunbluffer suggested. You sure got a lot of experience at sellin' stuff; especially things that you....like, just bought, you know? Like all the bazillion guns you've bought and sold on here for example. I mean seriously, you could sell something, it doesn't have to be guns, you could sell accessories, like scopes, and Hoppes #9, and ammo, and kznives, and crap like that. You could start off in sales and why, I'll bet that in a few years, you could even work your way up to be like the Asst. Manager at the Walmart Sporting Goods Counter. Or even better; Academy, yeah Academy! That's the ticket! Just stay away from Dicks...you don't wanna get to messin' around with Dicks now. Man, I'm telling you; you'd look good in one of them blue jackets they give you and all, even getcha yer own name tag and all the shizz that goes with it. They probably even have those little lockers for employees to use, after like 90 days of course. And who knows? Maybe they'd let you wear your gun OWB and all so you would have that gun store commando look going for you. Why; think of all the hot chicks you could impress in your new career wearing your sharp blue jacket with shiny new name tag behind the counter at the Big-Box Store!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Say one day your physical ability declined to the point you couldn't continue in the same capacity at your employment. What would you do?
I'm there now. Have been for a while. All my life I've worked hard physical jobs but my health won't let me do that now. I'm in my late fifties and can't find much that doesn't require a lot of previous experience. Too old for most to hire me and too young to retire. I've been working a part time minimum wage desk job for the last two years and getting farther behind all the time.

ETA: I'm guessing there may be a poll here that doesn't show up on my phone using tapatalk. If my reply doesn't fit here feel free to remove it.

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Number 3 is not an option. Don't EVEN go there. Even thinking it gives the @$$hats more ammo to cause problems.

If you can switch to something in the same field and teach or inspect and you enjoy the work I would say go for it. If you dread every day of work find something else that you will enjoy more. Maybe get a little scooter and use it to be a greeter for a while or something. Or think of something you have always wanted to do that isn't technical and do it for a few months.

I always loved going to theme parks as a kid and wanted to operate the rides, I finally got the chance and was pretty damn good at it especially after operating heavy machinery. The only reason why I am not doing it now is they were gonna kill someone and I didn't want to be around for it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't vote, but I'd suggest looking at what it is that you really enjoy doing (besides hunting and fishing) and try to find a job related to that where your expertise would be a benefit to others. (Now, if you really want to sell hunting and fishing equipment, then go that route.)

Point is, if you love what you are doing, then doing the work is really enjoyable.

Like the others, option #3 is NOT the answer. While such an action "might" alleviate some of your concerns, it would wreck your family.

Not to mention, prevent you from doing the things you love doing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom