What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope I would. Easy to say yes, but that entire exchange was brief, and I would be in a high stress moment. I would hope I could at least get the dirtbag to change his fire.
Yes, I would hope I'd have the instinct to help, but honestly, I doubt I could have the time to evaluate and react.
When you think about it, your at home, your videoing a normal traffic stop with your phone, and suddenly gunfire. How long would it take to you react and engage? I don't know.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate...

Put yourself in the officer's position. You're in a gunfight, in an area you don't control. It's dark. Suddenly, from up above you, more gunfire erupts. You're already under serious stress, and now there's a second, unknown shooter. Who is he shooting at? You have a split-second to decide friend-or-foe, and your original target appears to be disengaging. Do you trust that the unknown is friendly, or do you engage the second unknown?

Joining in the fight seems like an excellent way to catch a couple of rounds yourself, get a bystander injured from stray rounds, or at the very least, distract the officer at a critical moment, potentially leading to injury for him.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Put yourself in the officer's position. You're in a gunfight, in an area you don't control. It's dark. Suddenly, from up above you, more gunfire erupts. You're already under serious stress, and now there's a second, unknown shooter. Who is he shooting at? You have a split-second to decide friend-or-foe, and your original target appears to be disengaging. Do you trust that the unknown is friendly, or do you engage the second unknown?

Joining in the fight seems like an excellent way to catch a couple of rounds yourself, get a bystander injured from stray rounds, or at the very least, distract the officer at a critical moment, potentially leading to injury for him.
I agree. That's why I mentioned evaluating.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There is always the choice to stand by and watch. Each person has to evaluate what is going on, and act on what may be the best reaction at the moment. After the fact evaluations can bring up lots of scenarios.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is always the choice to stand by and watch. Each person has to evaluate what is going on, and act on what may be the best reaction at the moment. After the fact evaluations can bring up lots of scenarios.
Agreed. That's why they're so valuable to consider; it gives us a chance to play what-if and run options when we have the luxuries of time and contemplation.

As for myself, I think I'd have gone to ready, but not fired unless the perp had the officer down and started to press the advantage--at that point, the officer isn't going to be in a position to be worrying about a second threat, so the risk of target confusion is reduced.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. That's why they're so valuable to consider; it gives us a chance to play what-if and run options when we have the luxuries of time and contemplation.

As for myself, I think I'd have gone to ready, but not fired unless the perp had the officer down and started to press the advantage--at that point, the officer isn't going to be in a position to be worrying about a second threat, so the risk of target confusion is reduced.

Don't disagree at all, but what I saw would have drawn a response especially when the trooper took a round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom