What's a decent price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted an ad looking for a used Colt Defender at a "decent price". One of the members responded with, "What's a decent price?" I'm sure we all have our own opitions but it got me to thinking how I would personally answer this question. Using the Defender as an example here's my approach.

1) What does it cost new? Another memeber had a post on the Defender and sent me a link from where he got his, shows a price of $819. The stainless is a bit more but not by much.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...ender-45acp-3-and-quot-blue-black-cherry-7rd/

Checking another popular site, buds, to further get an idea of a new one. Showed $832

2) Researching what they are going for on Armslist and Gunbroker. Looking through all the ads and saw prices from $675 to $900 depending on modifications, accessories and condition.

Here's a stainless for $750 with accessories per the armslist ad:
(2) Colt mags (3) Chip McCormick mags (1) IWB Hoster. VZ installed grips. Upgraded with custom installed ambi safety! Original grips included(not shown) also included will be a bnib alien gear 3.5 shell(not shown).
https://www.armslist.com/posts/8812...s-for-sale-trade--colt-defender--45-stainless

I tried to get the guy to ship it to me but he didn't want to mess with it.

3) I stopped by a couple gun stores, the last being B&D gunroom in Shawnee to inquire about a Defender. The clerk said he had just sold, the day before, their last one. I asked how much it went for and he said $800. The other gun store had none and couldn't offer a price.

Sooooo.....after taking all the research into account, I feel I can personally, for me, determine what a "decent" pice would be. For me, a used Defender still in "decent shape", with a few accessories, would most likely go for $700-$750. A well used one with no accessories? Maybe $650-$675?

Now someone can start a thread on, "What is decent shape?"..........

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's frustrating is when you see an item here in the classified that you'd like to have but they're advertising it for what it would cost new....or often even more. There's an item on the site right now that I'd like to have but the owner has it offered for $300-$400 above what you can see them going for all over armslist. Now that's his right but I'm less inclined to make an offer, since it will most likely offend him. Sometimes I'd like to go cut and paste all the links to similar items just to prove the point but I'm sure that would be seen as improper etiquette also. You can't help but wonder how some of these guys come up with their offering prices. Maybe they don't have internet and can't research and actually see what the market value of their item is? I think most likely it's the, "this is what I have into it so that's what I want out of it" mentality.

Mattman5000e

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'll throw a wrench in the gears. Be careful on defenders or anything in a 1911 with a barrel shorter then Commander size. They seem to be picky on what they like to eat.
Exactly. I am not the biggest Kimber fan, but I have to say that they are the ones that can make a short gun run. Defenders are cool, but count on a trip or two to the smith.

Mattman5000e

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's frustrating is when you see an item here in the classified that you'd like to have but they're advertising it for what it would cost new....or often even more. There's an item on the site right now that I'd like to have but the owner has it offered for $300-$400 above what you can see them going for all over armslist. Now that's his right but I'm less inclined to make an offer, since it will most likely offend him. Sometimes I'd like to go cut and paste all the links to similar items just to prove the point but I'm sure that would be seen as improper etiquette also. You can't help but wonder how some of these guys come up with their offering prices. Maybe they don't have internet and can't research and actually see what the market value of their item is? I think most likely it's the, "this is what I have into it so that's what I want out of it" mentality.
I think a lot of sellers throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. If you get on GB, there might be a page or two of the exact same weapon everywhere from bargain basement prices to over MSRP. The gun world is a weird and whacky one.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'll throw a wrench in the gears. Be careful on defenders or anything in a 1911 with a barrel shorter then Commander size. They seem to be picky on what they like to eat.
I've been researching them for about a week now, lots of reading reviews and general post from mulitple sites. Problems seem to be the exception more than the norm on their perfomance. Lots of folks trying to decide between the Kimber Ultra carry and the Defender. Seems about 50/50 on the opinions.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lot of sellers throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. If you get on GB, there might be a page or two of the exact same weapon everywhere from bargain basement prices to over MSRP. The gun world is a weird and whacky one.
I would think if you're a serious seller you would be able to do a small amount of reseach and offer it where you have an opportunity to actually sell it.

Mattman5000e

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been researching them for about a week now, lots of reading reviews and general post from mulitple sites. Problems seem to be the exception more than the norm on their perfomance. Lots of folks trying to decide between the Kimber Ultra carry and the Defender. Seems about 50/50 on the opinions.
Hopefully that means they have gotten better. I had one that shot pretty well only after a lot of work. But I get the itch for a Colt... they are kinda cool by default.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully that means they have gotten better. I had one that shot pretty well only after a lot of work. But I get the itch for a Colt... they are kinda cool by default.
I'll post when I get one, in 45. There was another member just posted on his new one....he seemed quite happy with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom