What's a good self defense gun for Grizzlies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsbpd509

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, having just moved back to Oklahoma from Alaska, where a part of my job was putting down nuisance brown bears, I may be able to assist you with some information.

I had a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum, which I decided wasn't big enough for the task of backing up my guide gun. So I purchased a nice Taurus Raging Bull in .480 Ruger. About a year and a half back, we put down a three year old brownie with a .45-70 guide gun (by the way, if you don't mind carrying a rifle...). I noticed the bear was still alive and thought I would use my "new" .480 Ruger to put the critter out of his misery. From a distance of approximately 10', two jacketed flat point Buffalo Bore rounds failed to penetrate the skull.

I went out the next day and purchased a .500 S&W with a 4" barrel. Suprising as it may seem, this revolver is not bad to shoot. The weight of the revolver, as well as the ported barrel really tames the recoil. Don't get me wrong, it is still a handfull. Because I liked the idea of a semi-auto rifle for this type of activity, I built a .50 Beowulf AR-15 to carry for my primary weapon and used the .500 S&W as my backup.

My point being, get the biggest caliber that you can comfortably shoot well. Any one of the 454 Casull, .460, or .500 S&W should be adequate. I would not suggest the "Emergency Gun Kit", as the snub nose revolver might allow enough recoil to be a bit painful.

Just my :twocents: :freezing:

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say a glock 18 set on spray with a hate stick in it. That will give you a couple seconds of bear-b-gone. I think that should change his mind about using you for his mid afternoon snack.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
When you just have to get it done -

Submarine launched Tomahawk cruise missle.
awww.fas.org_man_dod_101_sys_smart_slcm_dvic470.jpg

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I lived in Alaska, the "rule" was just avoid the bears. Wear bells and carry pepper spray for the black bears and look for feces. If you see it examine to determine if it is from a black or a brown. Black bear is brownish black and stinks like you would expect. Brown bear has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray. :)

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have been more accurate with my quote it's not any firearm but rifles can be carried in AK.

This thread was about a good self-defense gun; unless you're putting plenty of lead down-range on a big-boy pistol accurately and within the parameters of a Kodiak bear coming down on you; get a shotgun.

Better yet; keep the bear bells on unless you're doing something that requires stealth and get a big-ass can of pepper spray for someone else in your party to carry as a first attempt to disengage the bear.

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Hope this isn't a repeat.

A recent internet posting suggested learning the difference between brown bear feces and black bear feces. Blackies droppings contain berries and small animal bones. Brown bear feces has bells in it and smells like pepper. :) CB

Edited--Can't spell $h!t Edited again--sorry for repeating the joke, but while I'm at it, let me repeat the recommendation of the Federal Barnes slug. Failing that, the least I would carry is my .375 H&H with 300 grain solids. CB

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in Alaska, the "rule" was just avoid the bears. Wear bells and carry pepper spray for the black bears and look for feces. If you see it examine to determine if it is from a black or a brown. Black bear is brownish black and stinks like you would expect. Brown bear has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray. :)

Just have to add that i LOLd when i read this.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in Alaska back in the 70's, it was a 12 ga pump gun with slug and buck loaded alternately. Its a great place everyone should visit as least once. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom