What's that one song...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
...that stops you in your tracks? You know, that one that comes on the radio and causes you to absolutely stop whatever it is you're doing, and just turn it up and listen.

I was walking to the bedroom, and this one came on in the dining room stereo (I have music playing constantly). And I just grabbed a chair, sat down, closed my eyes and listened...

Of course, I could make a list a mile long, but this one just popped up. Music is my passion.

Music that don't move us emotionally, is just noise! I'm partial to Folk, Bluegrass, Mountain, music, much of which is literally based on real people, and events, usually murder, and ma-ham, but like all music that is well done, and moving! Hotel California, for example. The folk song Tom Dooley is based on a real murder in North Carolina, in the late 1800's. The guys name was actually Tom Dulin, but Dooley sounded better I guess? This was a love triangle, two girls loved a young man, Tom Dooley. One of the girls was found murdered, and Tom was tried, convicted, and hanged for this murder. Decades later the other girl confesed to this murder, on her death bed! Is that a good story or what? Many, if not most, of these oid Folk, Bluegrass, Mountain songs, are a mixture of stories, of real events, and the music styles, brought with the imigrants, from Europe, and other places! Bill Monroe, the Carter Family, Doc Watson, a relative of Bill Dooley, etc. are largely responsible for bringing thijs great music to the general publics attention.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Music that don't move us emotionally, is just noise! I'm partial to Folk, Bluegrass, Mountain, music, much of which is literally based on real people, and events, usually murder, and ma-ham, but like all music that is well done, and moving! Hotel California, for example. The folk song Tom Dooley is based on a real murder in North Carolina, in the late 1800's. The guys name was actually Tom Dulin, but Dooley sounded better I guess? This was a love triangle, two girls loved a young man, Tom Dooley. One of the girls was found murdered, and Tom was tried, convicted, and hanged for this murder. Decades later the other girl confesed to this murder, on her death bed! Is that a good story or what? Many, if not most, of these oid Folk, Bluegrass, Mountain songs, are a mixture of stories, of real events, and the music styles, brought with the imigrants, from Europe, and other places! Bill Monroe, the Carter Family, Doc Watson, a relative of Bill Dooley, etc. are largely responsible for bringing thijs great music to the general publics attention.
Sorry, but until I googled it, I thought you were talking about this song.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but until I googled it, I thought you were talking about this song.

That is Dooley, I'm talking about Tom Dooley. Two different songs. Dooley was written by Rodney Dillard, the guitar player and lead vocalist with the Dilllards, ( Darling Family) of Andy Griffith fame. I just looked up a video of Tom Dooley, and learned the real last name was Dula, not Dulin as I first said. I tried to attach this video to this, but ether was not allowed to because of copy right laws, or didn't know how. Search Tom Dooley by Doc Watson, on youtube videos, and one of these videos shows some of Doc's family members telling this story better than I can, A fascinating story!

Latest posts

Top Bottom