What's the story of your ink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember as a young boy, asking my father why he had a tattoo. His simple reply was, "because I was in the navy." I asked him what that had to do with it. He said, "because if you didn't get one, they'd throw you overboard and make you swim home."

I know he was just kidding (sorta) but he did go on to tell me that every tattoo has a story. I asked him his story. His tat was a dove with an olive branch in it's mouth, which was a symbol of peace. It was 1957 when he was in the navy, Korea was still fresh on everybody's mind, and Vietnam was just over the horizon.

It's funny...dad got his at Painless Ned's tattoo parlor in San Diego, just before they shipped off to the Philippines. Years later, when I put on a gun and badge, I stopped a man about speeding, running a stop sign, whatever, and I noticed he had the exacr same tat as my father.

After I asked him for his license and insurance, and explained to him why I pulled him over, I kinda gestured to his ink and said, "Painless Ned's, San Diego?" His jaw dropped, and he said, "how in the hell did you know that?"

I told him about my father having the same one. The man said that a bunch of them were lined up to get their ink before shipping out. We talked for a good long while. He and dad were probably there at the same time and more than likely, on the same vessel together, but he didn't recognize dad's name when I told him.

I grew up thinking that the only people that had tattoos were pirates, servicemen and convicts. Nowadays, it's harder to find somebody without ink than someone with. From professional athletes to post menopausal women, seems like they're everywhere.

Personally, I was never passionate about anything to have it permanently affixed to my body. I did think about getting my name (Evan) across my knuckles like Ozzy, but nah. I always tell people my mother named me that because all the other 4 letter words were taken.

If they have personal meaning, I can appreciate it better than just some skulls and dragons and crap like most folks get.

I met a girl once who had a heart with a pink ribbon around it. It was for her grandpa who died of a heart attack and her grandma who died of breast cancer.. That's cool. :thumb:

I also met this dipshit who had the University of Oklahoma's OU logo on his arm. I asked if he was an OU alumni. He said no, never even set foot upon the campus. He just thought they had a good football team.

:scratch:

So what's your tats story?

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I was never passionate about anything to have it permanently affixed to my body.
This is me. Lots of guys have ink now, but I'll never get over the idea that you're just marking yourself up because you either have an inflated self worth or very low self esteem and need something to make you special. Girls with tats are always easy (this is a fact, even those post menopausal women), and guys with tats have self esteem issues if you talk to them for more than 10 minutes (80% fact? Jury's still out).

I also find that I treated people differently when they have a tattoo. I'm more likely to promote a non-tat person to a public position, whereas tats go in the back. (Think hostess and waiter vs cook or janitor). I don't want people thinking they're getting hepatitis from their food. I'm obviously not in foodservice anymore but back then (5 years ago) I wanted the cleanest appearance facing forward, and let's face it tattoos aren't a clean look.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I’ve got one dragon that was just for shits and giggles when I was in Okinawa. I’ve also got 2USMC tattoos. All 3 of my kids foot prints, and a Buffalo eating rainbow sherbet. It’s in honor of my great grandmother, who always fed us rainbow sherbet and gave me the Buffalo figurine thing I have on my desk. I’ve also got the American Flag as my left sleeve. Pretty much all have a meaning, except the dragon which is just cool LOL

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is me. Lots of guys have ink now, but I'll never get over the idea that you're just marking yourself up because you either have an inflated self worth or very low self esteem and need something to make you special. Girls with tats are always easy (this is a fact, even those post menopausal women), and guys with tats have self esteem issues if you talk to them for more than 10 minutes (80% fact? Jury's still out).

I also find that I treated people differently when they have a tattoo. I'm more likely to promote a non-tat person to a public position, whereas tats go in the back. (Think hostess and waiter vs cook or janitor). I don't want people thinking they're getting hepatitis from their food. I'm obviously not in foodservice anymore but back then (5 years ago) I wanted the cleanest appearance facing forward, and let's face it tattoos aren't a clean look.
Damn, judgy much? That’s a pretty broad brush to paint folks with.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one tat years ago when I was in the service. I had a small pair of lips put on my a$$. Sadly they got removed the hard way a few years after I got out. In case you are wondering, yes a small dog can take a pretty large chuck out of you, if you are naked and on top of his owner. Especially if he thinks you are hurting her.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I'm not judging anybody who gets/has ink. If they have specific meaning and remembrance, that's cool, but folks get "caught up in the moment" like my oldest daughter did, and gets some kinda something they might soon regret.

But if a person gets just some kinda stupid something because it looks cool? Yeah...that's kinda dumb. But...who am I to judge? God will judge us ALL one day.

Hell even kroberts dragon from Okinawa means something to him. He thinks it's stupid, but it's a reminder of who he is and where he's been, and I'm proud to tell him THANK YOU for your service. :patriot:

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I got most of mine between 18-20 years old… Do I regret them now? Hell yeah I do. Especially the one I got when I went in and told the artist I wanted an eagle flying with a ribbon in its mouth that says “Harley Davidson. Live to ride. Ride to live.” a few weeks later I was in the Harley shop and saw a T-shirt with the exact thing I got tattooed on my body. He just copy pasted onto my skin. Lmao

I only have one or two that really mean anything but now I wish I would have never got them. Live and learn I guess. I may want another one in the future but who knows. I can spend the money on things I enjoy more. My wife has zero ink and wants one. I told her to not do it. It’s not worth it in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom