What's Up With Walther?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked the guy I sold it to a couple of weeks ago how he liked it. He said he sold it to a doctor last year who was looking for a Walther PPK/S. He said he asked the doc how he liked it and doc said he hadn't taken it out to shoot yet.

Man, I have NEVER waited more than maybe 2 days after getting a new gun too go shoot it! I can't imagine.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I own several Walther's(Older guns), and won't be letting go of them anytime soon.
Three PPK/s; .380ACP, .32ACP, .22LR
The picture is a compilation of all my PP's an PPK/s an my TPH.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5500_zps3e84889f.jpg

Two PP's; .380ACP, .32ACP

Two P-38 consecutive serial numbers
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas018.jpg

One P-4
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas021.jpg

One KKJ rifle; .22LR
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_Picture041.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now that I've posted my picture's, I'll go on record an say that I kinda like Walther's, old ones that is. I also have a P-5 around here somewhere. Now I just need to get a Model 4 an a Model 8 to add to my flock. The old Walther's are some of the finest pistol's ever made. Granted a lot of how they function are recreation of Browning designs an patents, but Carl and his son's put them together in a way that exudes beauty an grace. As to the heavy DA trigger, I've found that the trigger pull gets lighter as you go down in caliber, and with the .22LR versions(old ones) the slides are thinner than the centerfire, and the recoil springs are lighter than the larger ones. Accuracy, as long as you do your part, is actually very good for the size. Of course each pistol regardless of caliber is going to be different, but some of them border on target grade accuracy. Even the little TPH can keep her shots inside a five inch circle at 25yds.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey! I was hoping ldp4570 would show up; man, I knew you would, and that you'd post that pic of all those beauties. You are absolutely right in the post above. To me, the PP series in particular has that grace and beauty of which you speak. Some people say the PPK/S is a step-child, born out of the requirements of the 1968 GCA; but to me, the PPK/S is the purtiest one. I dunno; there's just something about the slightly longer grip of the PPK/S that seems to accentuate the lines of the slide...but when S&W elongated that tang, and it threw that balance off and "the balance of nature was disrupted". Some actually like the longer tang, but to me, it ruined the beauty of the pistol's classic look.

LOL! here we are, on a firearms forum, talking about these things like they are works of art. Well; they are. IMO, there are no classier looking handguns than the Walther PP series. And the one I had engraved and gave to my daughter to be passed on to future little Drury grandchildren had a not-bad DA trigger and a SA trigger as nice as that on my 1911. It was an incredibly accurate little pistol too. The only thing wrong with that PPK/S is that I gave it to her for keeps a few years too soon. LOL!

C'mon Walther, bring back Carl Walther's design and produce the PPK and PPK/S in .32ACP and .22lr too. Please.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To me the .32ACP chambered PP an PPK/s are the best, don't get me wrong I love these little guns in .22lr, but it seems the best accuracy is found in the .32 caliber one's, and since they shoot so well I would never feel under or out gunned carrying one. Accuracy an skill is what wins the game(along with as much cheating you can get away with). The .32 may not penetrate far enough, and in hollowpoint my not expand enough, yet if you put a couple in the head or heart(the heart isn't 12 inches inside the chest) you'll shut your target down pretty damn quick.
Granted its better to carry something more effective, but if its all you have or all you can handle she'll get the job done very well.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my wife is a huge bond fan and has given me the permission to buy a 'bond' gun. when the wife tells you to buy a gun, you get after it! the pp line looks like the most affordable way to get into a classic walther. still looking at ppk's but jumping into the 900-1100 game is hard. i can get a couple old skool s&w's for that. tough choice...

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my wife is a huge bond fan and has given me the permission to buy a 'bond' gun. when the wife tells you to buy a gun, you get after it! the pp line looks like the most affordable way to get into a classic walther. still looking at ppk's but jumping into the 900-1100 game is hard. i can get a couple old skool s&w's for that. tough choice...

And they will likely continue to increase in value, if you buy wisely.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me the .32ACP chambered PP an PPK/s are the best, don't get me wrong I love these little guns in .22lr, but it seems the best accuracy is found in the .32 caliber one's, and since they shoot so well I would never feel under or out gunned carrying one. Accuracy an skill is what wins the game(along with as much cheating you can get away with). The .32 may not penetrate far enough, and in hollowpoint my not expand enough, yet if you put a couple in the head or heart(the heart isn't 12 inches inside the chest) you'll shut your target down pretty damn quick.
Granted its better to carry something more effective, but if its all you have or all you can handle she'll get the job done very well.

You are 100% correct. The Walther PPK was meant to be chambered in .32ACP.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I own several Walther's(Older guns), and won't be letting go of them anytime soon.
Three PPK/s; .380ACP, .32ACP, .22LR
The picture is a compilation of all my PP's an PPK/s an my TPH.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5500_zps3e84889f.jpg

Two PP's; .380ACP, .32ACP

Two P-38 consecutive serial numbers
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas018.jpg

One P-4
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas021.jpg

One KKJ rifle; .22LR
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_Picture041.jpg

Wow. Nice collection. Wish my daughter would have married you!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CCP started out with so much promise. Gas-delayed blowback operation like the legendary HK P7, with the lightest recoil spring weight around, so that it was easy for almost anyone to rack the slide, with a fixed barrel for accuracy, all wrapped in a slim, compact package, it was everything a really good carry gun should be. Except for the execution of that brilliant design, that is. The CCP has been plagued with problems since its inception. Maybe Walther has worked the bugs out of it by now. But it has a lot of bad press to overcome. Only time will tell....

Latest posts

Top Bottom