When, And Why, Did Customer Service Die?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FFS... Poor customer service is SO common these days that when I encounter someone who simply does their job it seems like the greatest thing I've ever experienced.

I bought a new tractor yesterday morning at P&K Equipment in Ada. I know that what I spent on my little homeowner tractor wasn't the most that dealership had ever seen. But it's a lot of money to me. The process was easy and we were in and out pretty quickly after picking out the tractor and implements we wanted. Our salesman was just a kid at 24, wasn't the most knowledgeable about the product, but he was pleasant and friendly and was a good sport when I picked on him a little bit.

I was assured the tractor and available implements would be delivered yesterday afternoon. It wasn't. And no one called to tell me it wasn't and we waited around at home waiting for it instead of doing other things we could've been doing.

This morning I called at 7:35 and talked to the salesman, wanting to know why my tractor wasn't delivered. He said he didn't know but he'd find out and call me right back. Fast forward to 10:00. Still no call. So I called the dealership. No one was available to take my call so I spoke to someone in service. I told her who I was and what I bought. She told me they were waiting for some implements to be delivered but didn't know anything beyond that. I told her I was getting pretty pissed with no one communicating with me. About that time I got another call (call waiting). After talking with the girl in service the phone rang again. It was the sales guy...calling again...and it was his call I missed while talking with the young lady.

He went right into jerking me around mode. But, he made it clear he knew I was talking with service. So I know he was standing there and either heard the conversation or she tipped him off so he ran back to his desk to call me. Then he had to give me all kinds of excuses why he didn't call.

If someone had just said, "Sorry...we screwed up. We can't get you tractor delivered today but we'll have it tomorrow. If something comes up and we can't make that, we'll let you know." I just want people to communicate, even if it's not what I want to hear.

It happens on this forum, too. A member has a gun for sale that I'd really like to buy. I've responded in the classified thread and I've PM'd him. I know he's read the message but for some reason he won't get in touch. If you don't want to sell the gun, or you've changed your mind, or you'd rather not sell the gun at all than sell it to me, that's fine. At least say so.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I can't say I disagree with you...... Seems to be happening everywhere in every business. I guess it's the degradation of our society these days. Some blame it on the labor shortage, etc. etc. I blame it on the way some of these kids are raised nowadays........ No moral fiber at all. It really doesn't take much effort to just admit to a mistake and make the call! Or, answer the PM !

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He'll learn pretty quick (or change professions) that customers prefer to be kept up to date, even if it's bad news. "I'm so sorry Mr. Tractorman, but your new tractor didn't make it on this load from the factory. We're looking for it to be front of the line at the next truck though on Friday. As a way to apologize, we're going to fill it up with fuel for you before delivery. Thanks and have a great day!"

You keep your customers happy, they'll keep coming back and you build what's called clientele. Those repeat customers are so loyal they'll fight a grizzly over you because you treat them right. Those are what you want in sales. Not the walk-ins that couldn't give two wet farts about you.
Money isn't made on tire kickers.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait until you get stage 4 cancer and standing in the Dr office waiting for a response from the administrator about a prescription they didn’t order for you. You stand there waiting for the admin to move the prescription to a pharmacy that had it in stock. The admin looks over to the office manager and says “THEY ARE STILL HERE”.

This happened to my FIL with my wife standing there with him.

When your life is dependent on someone else to do their job and they treat you like a nuisance, you realize things are worse than you could ever imagine!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be buying anything today unless I could take it home with me right now. If they don’t have something in stock, it could be months or more to get it due to supply chain issues.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be buying anything today unless I could take it home with me right now. If they don’t have something in stock, it could be months or more to get it due to supply chain issues.

That's a horrible way to be treated and far worse than what I'm going thru.

But, they did have the tractor in stock. It needed something installed and was to be delivered. It's not like I had to order anything. And it's not like they can bag up a tractor. It needs to be delivered on a trailer and I didn't have one. Taking it with me wasn't an option.

When I spend my money with a particular company, and I don't get the level of service I expect, I don't wanna hear about how busy you are. I don't give a s**t about other customers. I care that you do what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it, for me.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes me mad for you on this deal. Dropping that kind of money is a big deal and should be treated that way. Any way you can pull your money and go somewhere else?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would ask (tell) them to deliver what they have and when the rest of the items are available they can deliver those.

I was assured the tractor and available implements would be delivered yesterday afternoon. It wasn't.

Well, like I posted in my first post... That was the plan.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes me mad for you on this deal. Dropping that kind of money is a big deal and should be treated that way. Any way you can pull your money and go somewhere else?

I don't know. But I can tell you if it's not here today and I don't hear from someone why, I'll sure as hell find out if that's an option.

And just to be clear... I'm not upset the tractor wasn't delivered. I'm upset that no one could be bothered to tell me why they didn't do what they promised they would do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom