When do you clean your firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you clean your firearms?

• After you take them to the range

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • Before you take them to the range

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Never

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • What guns? The only gun I ever owned was lost in a tragic boating accident.

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whether or not they get fired, every year on my birthday, MRDS and light batteries are swapped, re-zeroed and deep cleaned.
I don't think that would work for me. Why would I want to do maintenance on my lights and RDS on Christmas Eve? Seriously, picking a date like that is a good idea. I'll have to find another important date.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The poll needs a "when it's dirty" option. A modern pistol can stand hundreds of rounds in between cleaning without any issues.

In regards to the question though, I'll inspect my carry pistol every couple of weeks and blow any lint out but certainly not after every firing/range session. It doesn't get broken down beyond field stripping but every 400-500ish rounds. My bedside AR gets cleaned every range session though.

Cleaning is weapon platform dependent in my opinion.

I don’t disagree with the idea that modern firearms can tolerate being dirty, but just how dirty is highly variable from one person to the next. So, my poll isn’t really about how dirty, but when you choose to clean it.

I’m switching to cleaning before I go to the range because I’d rather have a slightly dirty gun that I know functions, rather than a clean gun that might not if I broke a part or screwed up reassembly.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry fellers, military has screwed me up. I gotta clean the gun right after the range. Function check every day I carry which is every day. Not carrying the Kimber yet because the holster snaps the safety off sometimes when I move around. Thinking of going to a regular safety instead of extended.

I am thinking you were screwed up long before the military added to the mayhem!!:bolt::cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom