When to mention your carrying concealed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you are to inform an officer if any communication is made. No matter what the situation is, if you are approached by an officer, you are obligated to inform. For there safety and yours.

dentarthurdent

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
from the OK SDA statutes:

TITLE 21 § 1290.8. Possession of license required-notification to police of gun
D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact
that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant
to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person
first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state
or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during
the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop
. No person
shall be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun
licensee when no handgun is in the person’s possession or in any
vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger.

doh - I just realized that MoBoost had posted the same thing...

GOTOGUY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I say anything more than "Hi" I inform them. If I am around an officer for more than a minute, just standing around when there's a possibility we may come in contact, I inform them. Usually they thank me and then we "talk shop" as was said above.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you have mentioned here that you notify officers at times other than 'during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.' I'm curious why? The two officers I've spoken to on this subject think it's goofy when people bring it up outside of these circumstances. Of course these guys are not gun enthusiasts outside of their gun being a tool they use on the job and don't really want or care to talk shop about guns. Heck, one of them doesn't even carry off duty (which kind of blows my mind.)

My rule of thumb is if they stop me or I'm in a car that is stopped I inform them. If I call them or am a witness on a call I don't mention it.

Bryan

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you are to inform an officer if any communication is made. No matter what the situation is, if you are approached by an officer, you are obligated to inform. For there safety and yours.

I wouldn't quite say "every situation."

If an officer initiates the contact and it's official in nature (i.e. arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop) then you need to inform. If the officer comes in contact with you in a non-official capacity such as coming into your place of business as a customer while on duty you do not need to inform and in my opinion it is actually socially awkward to do so.

Bryan

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i understand and know the law as to when i have to let LEO know that i have my weapon. but one night i was working in a small town, i paint parking lots with my dad, and we were painting the street and some city owned parking lots along the main drag and an officer was showing us what they wanted done. well with this type of work there is a lot of bending over and moving of the like and it was a windy night so the possibility of my weapon becoming accidentally exposed is greater. just so that the officer did not see my weapon(which was very well concealed) and freak out i just let him know by showing my license to him just to be courteous. he gives me his look like "what a dumbass" and says "thats nice". i just did not want to take a chance of him seeing it and freaking out. he was an ass about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom